The future of Sol-C

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MadMax1998
Site Admin

The future of Sol-C

Postby MadMax1998 » 23 Oct 2017, 13:16

I just posted this on FB; thought I'd mirror it here for our forum dwellers.

Wow, 1400 likes. Thank you to everyone who supported our game even though we were so silent. I'm going to tell you what's currently going on, and then I want to ask you a question.

Speaking for myself, I have not been making games ever since Proving Grounds came out, which was over a year ago. I also didn't feel like I wanted to continue making Sol-C, I just needed a break. The other guys went ahead and made a prototype of the next version of the game (which would have included single player modes), but from what I know that's on hold completely. Maybe they can drop a line here later and clear that up.

I know that Metalgunner and Hawk are working on their own VR title, which is about to be released soon. It's not 6DoF at all! DuderSeb, our modeller and designer, is working with them on some VR-related projects. The idea for the next version of Sol-C (the prototype) was to make it a VR game, so you see where this is going.
People have come to our forum at http://forum.sol-contingency.com and asked about the status of the game. So I'm posting this thing here to let y'all know -- there are no plans to continue Proving Grounds or Sol Contingency in general, at least for now. We all have lives and interests that leave little room to develop a game this big (yes, I know it was a small demo but it's a big thing to make on spare time at this level of quality). Again, speaking for myself here, funding the game would be impossible in my opinion since 6DoF is such a niche and we have good commercial-grade games out there, for example Overload which is pretty much what I personally wanted Sol-C to be. So I'm wondering if Sol-C is really *needed* anymore...

Since Seb and I recently talked about Sol-C's future (stuff like the forum, website and what to do with Proving Grounds) I thought I'd just ask you, the fans who are still here, miraculously. DO YOU WANT SOL-C TO CONTINUE? And if so, FOR WHAT REASON? What would you like to see in the game that does NOT exist in other 6DoF games? Remember, there are at least three other games currently out that you can play, all very good. What makes our game different? Why do you keep asking us to make more? I'd really like to hear what you want to see.

The next step could be open-sourcing Proving Grounds so others can take it over and work on it (which is not as easy as it sounds), and that could turn it into a community project (like it started) overseen by the ex-devs. Or, if we could find some way of devving that works on the limited time we all have, maybe I would try and get back on board. Not sure about the rest of the team, though... again, I'm speaking for myself completely. So let me/us know what you think.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Re: The future of Sol-C

Postby Yoshimitsu » 28 Oct 2017, 20:18

Thank you for the update Max, and thank you all for your hard work on the Proving Grounds. I have said many times in many places that PG is the best multiplayer experience I have ever had. It's got very little content but the core gameplay is so good that It's hard to imagine it being surpassed.

I've been pondering how to answer your question "Why do I still want SolC when there are other good 6dof games available?" I have many thoughts so this might be a bit messy and disorganized.

First things first; I love Overload. I've been playing it like crazy and will probably continue to do so. What Revival are doing is exactly what I'd want out of a modern version of Descent 1/2. You are right that they are eventually going to have multiplayer. Their stated plan is to create and release it sometime in the year after the main game is done.

Descent: Underground on the other hand lost my interest almost as soon as SolC's Proving Grounds came out. SolC plays so much better than D:U that it's hard to believe. The way the basic mechanics function in D:U is so far removed from what I enjoy as to be almost a different genre. I also like neither their visual nor sound design. Granted they have yet to release their singleplayer so I might change my mind but as of now I dislike the game.

I haven't tried SublevelZero. I might get it at some point but the art style does not appeal to me in any way.

All that said, I'm going to be speaking now as if the question was "Why do I want SolC when I have Overload?" My first thought is that there might be 10 or more different FPS series that I play and love. Just because Doom4 is awesome doesn't keep me from wanting a sequel to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I love Halo, some of the Older Call of Duty games, Deus Ex, and many others. The same is true for hack and slash action games like Ninja Gaiden, God of War, Dark Souls, and Devil May Cry. I love all those series and play them frequently.

Unfortunately 6dof, my favorite genre of all, has exactly 2 series that I like; Descent 1/2 and Overload. I've tried a number of others and they just aren't fun. Sol Contingency is the 3rd 6dof game that I absolutely love to play. Overload may be amazing but SolC has a lot to offer, first and foremost in the visual and audio departments. The two games look and sound completely different from each other and that alone would be enough for me. SolC's visual design is much more human than Overload. I see more story in PG's 3 little multiplayer maps than in the whole of what Overload has shown so far. I could totally see people working in SolC's environments and that makes it easier to connect to. Add to that very different, but excellent flight models and I'd dearly love to play both.

Something Overload seems to be missing that I would have loved to see in SolC's singleplayer is a greater link between gameplay and story. I don't know for sure because we haven't seen it yet but I believe Overload is going in the Descent 1/2 direction where story happens as a bit of text before and after missions, maybe with some cutscenes here and there. I feel like there could be a lot more done based on various other games I play; Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Thief come to mind. Even Descent 3 had a lot more going on in terms of storytelling during missions with a greater variety of mission types. Unfortunately the core mechanics weren't great so D3 gained story at the expense of good gameplay. Find security keys, blow up the reactor, then escape is fun mechanically but hardly a compelling narrative. I much prefer the Descent 3 style of storytelling where every mission had different objectives which advanced an interesting plot, interspersed with dialogue from your friends giving you details and encouragement. Freespace also did this well.

The short answer is (like I said earlier) that I play and love many different FPS games. Why wouldn't I want to play and love more than one new 6dof game, especially when SolC's gameplay is already so good?
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 06 Nov 2017, 12:05

Thanks Yoshi. I agree with your thoughts on the story and yes, quite a bit of thought was put into the map design to give the environments context. Personally I've always enjoyed those games more too over the ones that go all-out fantasy or gameplay-only.

I'd say unfortunately you are the only one so far who has given this kind of feedback. Most of the comments on FB are actually accepting of us stopping development, which I really like. It seems people understand that we've given it all and have moved on. I mean, that's the whole reason why I asked the question to begin with. I feel that yes, there is room for a new 6DOF game like Sol-C, but it has to be GOOD and ENGAGING and DIFFERENT. I have quite a few ideas in my head as I'm sure do the other devs, but ideas are not worth much without execution. And that's the part where we'd have to either be 110% motivated or get some money out of it. The fact that our game has such great graphics (IMO) is also our biggest curse as this "triple-A" (or whatever) level of design is hugely time consuming. I don't see us upholding that standard at all unless there is a completely new direction and organization (and money influx). That's why we left it at what it is.

Even making the game open source is work that I'd only go through if there was enough interest in it. Because once it is open, if nobody does anything with it, then it will all be for nothing.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
pipsqueak

Postby pipsqueak » 08 Nov 2017, 04:15

I think you're not getting feedback on the forum because most everyone who had an interest in the game just assumed it was dead. You (the developers ) as far as I can tell never posted on the forum saying that you were satisfied with the game and were going to stop developing. You just went SILENT leaving everyone just wondering what the heck happened. IMO, it shouldn't have taken a year for you to offer an update. At least now, it feels like there's some closure.

In terms of whether there should be another 6dof game, IMO, you can never have enough 6dof games. I love the genre and I really like what they're doing at Overload and Descent Underground as well. Sub level zero is okay but I'm not to crazy about the graphics. Now, you're game, to quote your words, I feel is good, engaging and different. I was impressed with many of the things in Sol C. The weapons are amazing, as are the sound effects that accompany them. The speed boost has a nice feel to it and I love the energy centers. the overall game play is fun and I think you did a nice job with the levels. I only wish I could find someone to play the game with. The only issue I ever had was that it felt like I was always getting stuck going through doors or bumping into things on the walls.
ZcRaider
Beta Tester

Postby ZcRaider » 18 Nov 2017, 02:27

Yoshimitsu wrote:Something Overload seems to be missing that I would have loved to see in SolC's singleplayer is a greater link between gameplay and story. I don't know for sure because we haven't seen it yet but I believe Overload is going in the Descent 1/2 direction where story happens as a bit of text before and after missions, maybe with some cutscenes here and there. I feel like there could be a lot more done based on various other games I play; Mass Effect, Deus Ex, and Thief come to mind. Even Descent 3 had a lot more going on in terms of storytelling during missions with a greater variety of mission types. Unfortunately the core mechanics weren't great so D3 gained story at the expense of good gameplay. Find security keys, blow up the reactor, then escape is fun mechanically but hardly a compelling narrative. I much prefer the Descent 3 style of storytelling where every mission had different objectives which advanced an interesting plot, interspersed with dialogue from your friends giving you details and encouragement. Freespace also did this well.

Yes i so agree man.

pipsqueak wrote:I think you're not getting feedback on the forum because most everyone who had an interest in the game just assumed it was dead. You (the developers ) as far as I can tell never posted on the forum saying that you were satisfied with the game and were going to stop developing. You just went SILENT leaving everyone just wondering what the heck happened. IMO, it shouldn't have taken a year for you to offer an update. At least now, it feels like there's some closure.

I share this feeling...maybe to a lesser degree as well.

Hey guys,

I know I've kinda of drop off the scene for a while. Life stuffs, work, etc. Right now, my go to game has been EDF 4.1 for almost a year now. But i've been playing many co-op games lately. I and there seems to be a real demand for this in my opinion. I think this could be the reviving point of this game, should Singleplayer and story be expound on.

For those who don't know, I have had the privilege of beta testing, and helped to spot and weed out some of the previous issues with Dedicated Server management, and even some weapon ideas. And it was a magical experience. I'll go ahead and leave my 2 cents on the matter. My Thoughts Thus far:

I was actually surprised by this thread...

I remember when it all started as a Remake of Descent, and then the Cease and Desist, and all that drama. I honestly think...that was the real blow here, and it has left a scar even to this day. The betrayal displayed by Interplay is next level...That is actually the main reason i have not even given Descent: Underground a spec of a chance at getting me into it. And now the game is no longer on Stream. I am not surprised.

I REMEMBER...The Dev's where completely open, and even asked for help to revive the Descent IP.
I REMEMBER... How they tried to contact that company...
I REMEMBER...The Dev's getting kicked to the curb with absolutely no communication, other than a C&D Legal Stand....AFTER the Dev's in good faith submitted samples of their work to interplay, in hopes for support.
I REMEMBERED... how they then tried to steal the momentum that was set with the Sol's original demo, after the ordeal.

From the beginning...What is know known as SOL Contingency...was under attack by coorperate greed. And now...the momentum from SOL has been copied by others, with more money and resources..and are now in the Spotlight. Yes, im talking about you OverLoad...and Descent: Underground as well. This whole show... is utterly unfair.

I was actually surprised...

I expected to hit my "Favorites" tab in my Google Chrome, check the forums, and see what new amazing development is underway. Last i heard, there was even going to be a Single-player experience? I was so joyful. Every time, i would check back on this project, i was expecting to see more progress, and was excited to see the advancements to the gameplay, and again i was really really really, looking forward to the Single Player. In fact, i was more interested in SinglePlayer Co-OP play...than the Multiplayer in the first place. I love old school story play, and the possibly of co-op on top of that, is just heaven for me.

But then...i read this thread...

I am truly saddened. I direct thoughts to the Dev's on the matter:

DO NOT GIVE UP

You have a wonderful game with so much potential. I have seen so many projects like this die, because of lack of motivation. A good example is a game called Final Rush, currently still on sale on Steam beleive it or not. Its a great game...but the Developer just stopped supporting it, because he felt the game didn't matchup with the times anymore. Yet people still yarned for this Sci-fi Co-op Horde Surivial Shooter. And its even still being purchased on steam...only for people to imediately regret it, because the Developer is on Infinite Hiatus. Website down...etc. Even after naysayers comparing it to Left4Dead and Killing Floor, people still payed money for the game, BECAUSE IT IS FUN.

Your game...doesn't have to be the Next "Doom" or the Next "Facebook" or "Youtube" Screw what the "masses" of people are trending too.

Continue your masterpiece because you DAMN well know that when its done it will be Beast. Only reason why Overload is doing so well, is because they kept up their momentum...In fact..personally..i felt like they just continued the momentum you guys set, but just had the funds and resources to present it better, as i mentioned previously. This is what i percieved it to be...and is my opinion.

Let the results of your work speak for itself. Get the game Green-lighted on steam, get people to see your wonderful game. The rest will come in time. And if for some reason it does not take off in the mainstream, you still would have left a Legacy for others to follow, and pick up the torch. Get this game open sourced! There are people still playing these types of games, and there is still a "good" demand, even though its not mainstream. But don't give up just because of the trending times.

I think people as a whole...have proven more often than not, that they dont know what they want, until they see it. So let your game be seen! Use Steam as the engine.

So many times in the past, people have naysayed a particular video game...or even more...a particular invention, just for it to become utterly successful and become common place. Why the common home computer was thought to be a luxery for the rich or business applications. And because of the limited technology at the time, they thought that it would never get better or popular. But now we have computers in 80% of american homes, and life without a computer seems hard to imagine for many, and don't get me started on smartphones. Don't let this masterpiece called SOL Contengency fizzle away. So many people will be let down, including myself.

But... if it really is the end times for this game...at least make it open source. That way someone else can continue the mantel.

I... truly think it was unfair how this game was been treated by those with power and influence over the Video Game Market, and by those who have Money and influence in the Steam community.

You guys started the revamp of the 6DoF genre in my opinion...and it seems like other company's have stolen your momentum. Even Overload is guilty of this in my opinion.

But... again...It was a true pleasure to at least...share the journey, in the progression of this game. I...will not forget the magical times i had in Muliplayer with you guys...and the wonderful user to dev feedback, during the development of this game. You guys...are awesome and creative individuals.

And...i still think you have a good thing here...even tho, i feel it has been stompped on by other Company's, with more resources.

Its truely sad. I will probably reflect on this for a good long while.

Thank you.

-Michael

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”