Meet the Descent collection of the Force! 56K warning!

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Meet the Descent collection of the Force! 56K warning!

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » 02 Aug 2014, 13:27

Hi all

Hi all after some years of collecting and being a Pyro Jockey for over 20 years all way back since it all began on October 21, 1994 when the first Descent Demo rolled out I was hooked immediately, and since then I waited for every part of the series to arrive but never thought about this collecting feeling which I started about 2 years ago and now it has turned into a Descent obsession some call it Obi's Descent Archive and others a museum heh :)

Anyways name it what you all like here's some new pics and I want to thank alot of you for helping get a few of these rare wanna haves.
Today I gave each album a new sub section so here's the collection 105 parts as I have counted them all yesterday after adding a Descent mission disc and a Spacetec IMC Cooperation Spaceorb 360 game controller :)

As I registered to this forum a few days ago i thought I'd add a topic of the World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection, the one I have collected and gathered the past 20+ years 8-)
What I did is divide it all in to sub groups, all the Product names speak for themselves, click it and you enter the sub gallery of that item :)

Descent Series

Descent 2 Series

Descent 3 Series

Descent Combo Packs

Descent Linux Series

Descent Macintosh series

Descent Playstation Series

Descent Books

Descent Mini Posters

Descent Mouse Pads

Descent Misc Items:

Descent Freespace Series

Descent Freespace 2 Series

Descent Freespace Combo Packs

Descent Freespace Books

On October 21, 2010 this lovely set arrived from fMasternX, a guy that has a contact with one of the cleaners that worked @ Interplay HQ back in 2003 to 2004, when it was being cleared after it shut down :)

So here's the parts in a one shot:

That frame hung in the Interplay HQ Office hallways, them CD-R's are host software of Descent 1 and 2, the one with the scratches is the Descent 1 Alpha disc, this is where it all began before it was going final, the one from 1996 is the host disk for Descent Anniversary Edition me thinks hence the date of the disk, unless some Interplay Employee's can help me out here!

This came to me all thanks to MasternX from this website:
http://forums.my-collections.eu/

This is probably one of the most rarest of all items I was given as a gift, after helping a friend Acquire a rare 3dfx Voodoo5 6000 AGP 128MB Rev.A2 2600 [Week 26 Year 2000] from an ex-3dfx engineer for a good deal, my 3dfx report can be read here @ EVGA Graphics to see my3dfx background, just for the ones that are questioned about this :)
http://forums.evga.com/3dfx-Voodoo5-600 ... px#2185131

Here a Pre-Production Sample of Descent3: Mercenary USA! This is the Pre-Release version which is Factory Sealed in the original factory cellophane + NOT FOR RESALE Decal under the seal on the box! A very rare sight :mrgreen:
Click to Enter!

Great and many thanks to a good friend of mine from Minnesota, USA he goes by the nick name of "rottentreats" he's from the 3dfx forums Falconfly.de
This is certainly a gift of many words 8-)

Here all the four variants of Descent I and II The Definitive Collection all are Factory Sealed in their original cellophane! These items are from 1998, so it's been like this for the past 16 years... :D :D :D

All four variants top view
Top left is EUR version without D3 Demo
Top right is USA Version with D3 Demo
Bottom left is Big Box USA version with D3Demo
Bottom right is Sleeved USA version without D3 Demo

All four variants rear view
Top left is EUR version without D3 Demo
Top right is USA Version with D3 Demo
Bottom left is Big Box USA version with D3Demo
Bottom right is Sleeved USA version without D3 Demo

Descent Freespace Battle Pack EUR & USA top

Descent Freespace Battle Pack EUR & USA rear

And here the entire Collection 96 of 102 items, my floor was not large enough xDDD :lol: :lol:
Even though I have 105 items hence the odd D1 Game expansion disc and the Spaceorb 360, these pics were made a while back, back on March 16, 2013 to be exact 8-)
But it will give you an exact idea on how large this collection is if all in one space :ugeek:
New pics will be made again sometime when I get an other odd 20 new items or so :mrgreen:

Top lot:

Centre lot:

Bottom lot:

Entire Lot:

The other items I forgot to take new pics of were these:

Self made Descent based Mouse pads:
Image Image Image

Descent 2 Promo Mousepad, a Gift from D2X-XL Moderator Frustikus
Image Image Image

Descent 2 & Freespace 2 Case Mod:

PyroGX from Descent 2 Release painted in 1996:

Hercules MK III, Vesudan Dreadnaught & Shivan Carrier from Freespace2 Painted in 1999:

Descent IV: Invasion RTF file of Floppy Disk:

Here's a video I made of that massive collection today after recounting it all :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBy5cb5ec4#ws

The latest added items are the following:

Item 103:
This ultra rare 1998 Descent: Freespace: The Great War Interplay Developer's T-Shirt
Front:

Rear:

Item 104:
JukeBox Collection for Descent French D1 Mission Disc
Pic is from the seller, I will make a better documented photography of this odd item.

Item 105:
And the infamous Spacetec IMC Cooperation Spaceorb360 Game Controller! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Force n Torque Sensitivity
Patented SENSITIVE FORCE n TORQUE technology built into the SpaceOrb™ 360 PowerSensor ball senses up all the pushes, pulls and twists that you apply among the axes and translates them into fluid and smooth movement in your game - with over 1,000 levels of speed!

Pretend its Your Head
Think of the PowerSensor as your head, and move the head in the way you want to move on-screen. To move forward, just push with your thumb on the back of the ball (or head), and youll move down the hallway. To move backward, pull from the front of the ball, and youll go back. To look left or right or spin, twist the ball from side to side and youll look or spin on screen.

This Interesting controller was especially designed for any 6DoF based game, the Descent and Forsaken series were famous of this 6DoF technique being used.

Powerful Digital Interface
Adding a true DIGITAL interface through a powerful serial port and how fast and how slow you move in your game depends on how much force you use on the PowerSensor ball. To move forward slowly, lightly push the ball forward. To move faster, increase the pressure until you reach top speed. The SpaceOrb is a 10-bit device allowing for over 1,000 levels of speed. With the Customizer, you can fine tune axis sensitivity exactly to your needs. You can even adjust the sensitivity of EACH AXIS with our new GameMaster software.

The Spacetec Space orb 360 is a real worthy item for the World's Largest Descent / Freespace collection, this way it will keep on growing and hereby I also increase our nice descent / Freespace Reference.

So there you have it all 82 items, some may ask why i collect these well, Descent & Freespace have very well thought original designs and sicne day one they were released as demo's I got hooked to them and wanted only more and more and now this is my result, collecting these games has always been on my mind first you like it alot then it becoems an addition then it becomes an obsession, no matter the more I can find the greater the thrill!
Holder Of The World's Largest Descent / Freespace Collection:
1DVD4D2UDK

Re: Meet the Descent collection of the Force! 56K warning!

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 02 Aug 2014, 20:17

That's quite a collection alright! :D
I like the digital force controller!

Nice set of models too, I can see why you'd be wanting a PyroGX model to add to it!
Maybe one of many 3D printing sites could set you up with a few? I have no idea on the pricing though, so you may want to shop around - and I'm sure you already have many digital versions to choose from, so I imagine you'll have some Pyro's before long! :)

You might consult BUBBALOU aka EVENT3D on DeviantArt to get something worth 3D printing a complete inside/outside PyroGX! :shock:
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
cae2100

Postby cae2100 » 02 Aug 2014, 21:24

obiwan, email me at cae2100@yahoo.com with your address, I found a little one of the pyro gx that I had printed to test my big printer.

Also, I see that your missing two other things from your collection that I have, the sol ascent version of desent 3 and the unreleased descent 2 for xbox. :P
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » 02 Aug 2014, 22:09

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:That's quite a collection alright! :D
I like the digital force controller!

Nice set of models too, I can see why you'd be wanting a PyroGX model to add to it!
Maybe one of many 3D printing sites could set you up with a few? I have no idea on the pricing though, so you may want to shop around - and I'm sure you already have many digital versions to choose from, so I imagine you'll have some Pyro's before long! :)

You might consult BUBBALOU aka EVENT3D on DeviantArt to get something worth 3D printing a complete inside/outside PyroGX! :shock:

Hah I know BUBBALOU, I have not heard from him in a very long time, I hope he is doing okay as for them other two, I never heard of them, well I know that deviantart is a website, but I never knew he/she was a person too :)

cae2100 wrote:obiwan, email me at cae2100@yahoo.com with your address, I found a little one of the pyro gx that I had printed to test my big printer.

Also, I see that your missing two other things from your collection that I have, the sol ascent version of Descent 3 and the unreleased Descent 2 for xbox. :P

Hey very kinds of you, btw I do have Sol Ascent here:
http://www.3dfx.ch/gallery/d/62688-1/So ... ere+xD.jpg

And yes I will mail you indeed and many many thanks for this man! :shock: 8-) :mrgreen:
This collection is my call to Interplay telling them we want more than a Descent3 and Freespace 2 and it's my way of keeping the game series alive in a sense of very good memory, in a very good way, also by preserving what has been made of the game series Descent & Freespace them self.
sigma

Postby sigma » 03 Aug 2014, 13:59

I would like to increase you great collection, but the boxed versions, which I have only one instance of each.
If you do not have these publications, you can find and buy them on the Internet.

give to the person the purpose for the sake of which it is worth living, and he will survive in any situation
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » 03 Aug 2014, 15:28

Hah nice sigma :) I have that Japanese version of D1 for PlayStation hehe but the one I interest most is this Pre-Production version of Conflict: Freespace The Great War:

That is the concept art tbh, which was used on that ultra rare Dealer Demonstration Kit I got from some guy from the UK, which looks like this :)

Conflict Freespace - The Great War - Dealer Demonstration Kit top

Conflict Freespace - The Great War - Dealer Demonstration Kit rear, also showing the concept art for Conflict: Freespace The Great War bottom right 8-)

Conflict Freespace - The Great War - Dealer Demonstration Kit unfolded rear

Conflict Freespace - The Great War - Dealer Demonstration Kit unfolded top, CD removed ti show the art behind the CD

Conflict Freespace - The Great War - Dealer Demonstration Kit unfolded top with the Product Demonstration Disc in place
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 03 Aug 2014, 21:30

Hey! That's some pretty cool looking box art there! :D
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Postby Obi-Wan Kenobi » 04 Aug 2014, 14:34

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:Hey! That's some pretty cool looking box art there! :D

Yeah this is a very very rare piece, it's one of 10 made in the world, so far I have not found anymore of these, the seller from who I got it from is from the UK, he had all 10 that were made, I bought one, since Iam not so greedy rofl, but Something tells me I should of gone for all 10 rofl.

Ah well, this piece is in top state, thankfully, the software I have tested which is Freespace 0.9 Beta btw and it's very unstable I have tested it with my Intel Pentium !!!/E 650, with a Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 which was gifted to my by JayVentri from EVGA Graphics & 2CPU.com due to my past with 3dfx and the 3dfx community, the Obsidian2 X24 is a Dual V2 12MB SLI setup in one, the Obsidian2 X24 is consisted of a main board being the main V2 plus a daughter board attached to it via an internal SLI connection, being the slave V2.

Here the system I used with the Obsidian2 X24:

Avenger M99

Intel Pentium !!!/E 650Mhz Coppermine S.E.C.C. 2 / Slot 1
3x 128MB PC-100 CL3 Hyundai / Samsung
EPoX EP-BX3 Intel BX440 Chipset
ATi Rage 128 Ultra AGP 32MB 64Bit SDR
Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 PCI 24MB 384Bit EDO Rev.D 9822 *
Intel Pro 100/S Desktop Adapter
Philips FM/AM Radio Card 8Bit ISA
Creative Labs AWE64 Gold CT4390
Samsung 3.5" Floppy Drive
LG 40x/16x CD/DVD RW-Drive
1x Maxtor Diamond Max 9+ 40GB ATA 100
1x Maxtor Diamond Max 9+ 25GB ATA 100

Windows 2000 Professional UK + Service Pack 4

* Fourth Final Revision D, Year 1998, Week 22 --> 6x 64Bit EDO Divided over 4 Bruce Chip Texture Mapping Units & 2 Chuck Chip Frame Buffer Units

Here more on how I renovated this oldie from 1999 :)
http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/688333

Meet Avenger M99 the Retro 3dfx Test system 8-)

ATi Rage 128 Ultra , X25, Pro 100 S, Radio Card, AWE64 Gold:

ATi Rage 128 Ultra , X25, Pro 100 S, Radio Card, AWE64 Gold alternative view

Quantum3D's 2D to 3D External Pass Through Cable, which goes from the Main VGA the 2D Card, that being the ATi Rage 128 Ultra AGP 32MB to the 3D add on card the Quantum3D Obsidian2 X24 and from there to the Monitor 8-)

More here :)
http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2041448
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 04 Aug 2014, 20:57

Hey Tylo! Good to see you joined this forum! :D
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 04 Aug 2014, 23:32

Looks like a pretty cool system to run Descent with! :D

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”