What makes you fearful?

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Poxy
Beta Tester

Re: What makes you fearful?

Post by Poxy » 06 Feb 2015, 06:03

If a nuclear blast goes off, doesn't it also include an EMP wave? So if a reactor is destroyed, wouldn't that instantly cut all electricity? Total darkness. Plus your ship goes dead too, until you can restart it. Maybe bots suffer as well for a bit?

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » 06 Feb 2015, 14:10

I dont think that it is a nuclear reactor in descent, the blast would have blown you to bits being next to it wouldnt it? instead, you get a while before it goes boom to let you get out of the mines.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Feb 2015, 16:56

If you don't have a nice thick atmosphere out in space, there isn't much to carry the shock blastwave. The thermal effects are also fairly diminished for the same reason. I mean, I wouldn't want to sit next to one going off even in a vacuum but its not going to be mushroom cloud city like here on earth. The gamma ray burst from it is what you have to watch out for. Think epic-sized frag grenade if the fragments could pass thru anything at hypersonic speeds... ouch. [Its these gamma rays passing thru atmosphere that creates high energy free electrons leading to an EMP blast btw - no idea how that works in space though].

Seems to me the original game treated it less like a bomb and more like a reactor meltdown once you blow its cooling unit.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Post by NUMBERZero » 07 Feb 2015, 02:37

The reactors in Descent were stated to be Helium-3 fusion reactors.

Also conventional explosives do not work in atmosphereless environments. The weapon of the future would be nuclear missiles. You would think that people would come up with EMP resistant electronics to counter the sideffects of a weapon that would become standard issue. (I know, it's hard to believe that nuclear weapons would become standard issue, but that's the way it is)

That reminds me, for levels like on moons or on an atmosphereless planet, you could pressurize the mine (which would explain why conventional missiles would work, if you wanted to be accurate with science-fact), but when the escape hatch opens, you could have a cool effect of the air rushing out.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 07 Feb 2015, 03:40

Even if it's not completely realistic, given the obvious gameplay reason that the reactor can't blow you up the instant it explodes it could still be meant as a nuclear reactor. Acceptable breaks from reality ya know.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » 07 Feb 2015, 05:42

yea, I know, just interesting conversation to have none the less :P

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 12 Feb 2015, 02:47

Not having enough time to escape was one of mine! :o

I was thinking that most any power plant design would have built in redundancies for safety features, so if one system goes out it would start shutting down - but 2 or more failing for whatever reason, the safeguards might have no effect and would start a meltdown.
During the time it takes to actually get to the exit could be punctuated with a few other system fail warnings, and the resulting explosions - to add to the tension of the escape, and depending on the initially failing systems it might take more or less time before the others fail and the ultimate destruction of the installation.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 13 Feb 2015, 01:32

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. Shadow of Chernobyl makes me more fearful than any other game. For me nothing else captures the horror/action/RPG genres nearly so well. It has the perfect mix of player fragility, intelligently limited inventory, and a terrifying setting. It is beautiful to look at (especially with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete mods) while at the same time being desolate and dangerous.

More than anything though, Stalker is scary because of its amazing sound design. Almost every noise in the world is a possible threat from NPCs yelling at you to lower your gun or insulting you (in a language that I can't understand), to the slight background crackle that might suddenly become a warning from your Geiger-Counter of dangerous radiation, or some unseen Bloodsucker breathing loudly as it watches you. Even friendly characters playing guitar and singing by a fire, while comforting, somehow make the rest seem more ominous.

I find that it is a general rule for good sound to be the most important element in creating a frightening atmosphere. Of the other experiences that scare me in games almost all of them are greatly enhanced (or even caused entirely) by sound:

Thief: Deadly Shadows had the Shalebridge Cradle level
Amnesia the Dark Descent's atmosphere relies heavily on sound
Doom 3 has the horrifying smokey rumble as a demon appears and screams at you

Even the Descent games are scary for me mostly because of the creepy robot cries. The shriek of an attacking old scratch (D3) makes me want to kill it with every weapon in my inventory. The Fox's quaver in Descent 2 is horribly unsettling. But nothing compares to the fright I used to get as a five year old when a Diamond Claw snuck up behind me, growled, and tore my Pyro apart.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 13 Feb 2015, 03:13

It's not a game, but I always get an unsettling feeling from reading the SCP reports on SCP Foundation. The clinical tone makes even the most inexplicable objects and events feel like things that could actually be out there... waiting for one of us... and the writers come up with some pretty demented inexplicable things as far as inexplicable things go.

Yah I think Descent 2 had better robot sounds than Descent 1. A lot of the sounds in Descent 1 were pretty similar to each other: Class 1 Drone/Class 1 Driller, Defense Prototype/Gopher, Secondary Lifter/Heavy Driller/Fusion Hulk; the list goes on. Descent 2 still had a bit of that but most of them were pretty distinctive and all the more creepy because it was much easier to tell exactly what was coming to get you, and even when a couple of robots share the same sound like in Vertigo they always manage to play it so that you assume the worst. You hear an Ice Spindle and think SPIKE!
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Shroudeye

Post by Shroudeye » 13 Feb 2015, 16:18

Vertigo Fox wrote:...You hear an Ice Spindle and think SPIKE!
Or a Red hulk, and think ITS MAX! ...(The bot)

Personally I hate any robot with flash missiles. Especially the ones with homing capability.

Oh, also don't forget everyone's favorite. Da Thief-bot!
That F****n' @**h*** of a Yoink'r!! >:(