Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

xaxazak

Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Post by xaxazak » 08 Apr 2015, 15:35

Just crossing over from the D:U forum to check out their, er, competition?.

I know that Sol Contingency's website is out of action for now, but is there a better source of info on the game than here or the facebook page?
If not, you might want to put a brief "this is what Sol Contingency is" sticky topic on the forum to potentially get people like me interested.

While I'm not busy complaining over on the D:U forums and causing a ruckus, I have a couple of questions for you that watching some videos didn't answer (likely answered elsewhere but I'm being lazy sorry).
- Current status & schedule?
- Linux?
- Will the game offer additional purchases (weapons, craft, etc). What about purely cosmetic purchases?
- Does the game have any progression mechanics (skill-trees, weapon unlocking, etc).

Thanks.

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Re: Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Post by Vertigo Fox » 08 Apr 2015, 15:47

-The proving grounds multiplayer demo will probably be out in 1-2 months, and after you guys have something solid to play we'll start to focus our attention on the singleplayer game.
-I don't know if we are going to support Linux, I know we'd like to support as many operating systems as we can so if we can then we will.
-We have no plans for microtransations or macrotransactions. :D
-The proving grounds demo won't, everyone will be on a level playing field. Although it's not up to me, I'd like to look into the advantages of skill trees and weapon unlocks in a multiplayer setting because when I just think about it I can really only think of disadvantages for game balancing and an even steeper entry curve than Descent already has.
In the singleplayer game, of course all the weapons aren't going to be available to you from the beginning and I would like to see more things than just weapons getting unlocked over the course of the campaign.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

Sylvester_Ink

Post by Sylvester_Ink » 08 Apr 2015, 16:03

Vertigo Fox wrote:-I don't know if we are going to support Linux, I know we'd like to support as many operating systems as we can so if we can then we will.
For goodness sake, please do! Some us haven't used Windows in years. I'll double my planned donation. Heck, I'll even help test the Linux version! (And I HATE testing unfinished games.)

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 08 Apr 2015, 16:24

Hang tight for a set of video updates coming down the pipes to see where we are with PG and maybe a peek at what's coming up in the VR space. We've been in final testing here lately, getting the balance right and we have lots of new stuff to show off, but are trying to be conscientious of D:Us crowd funding campaign winding down. Would hate for folks to think that an update right now in the closing hrs was some attempt to undercut their support. Anyways, I think folks will get a better sense of how close we are to an initial release when we get MP gameplay footage out. Linux support for PG is a hurdle probably not worth jumping until we finish a port to an engine that supports it better. As Fox mentioned, right or wrong we're not in it for the money - would rather be playing with y'all.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Sylvester_Ink

Post by Sylvester_Ink » 08 Apr 2015, 16:31

1/2Hawk wrote:Linux support for PG is a hurdle probably not worth jumping until we finish a port to an engine that supports it better.
Right, I realize PG was done using the UE3, which didn't support Linux, whereas the final result will use UE4, which does. I don't mind waiting for the latter.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 08 Apr 2015, 16:34

Until then, you can enjoy the game vicariously through the people who upload videos. Or you can get a friend with Windows to download the game so you can play it :P it is well worth it.
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Sylvester_Ink

Post by Sylvester_Ink » 08 Apr 2015, 17:41

homeyduh wrote:Or you can get a friend with Windows to download the game so you can play it :P it is well worth it.
No. No it is not. :D
But I'm patient. I haven't played Descent in ages, so getting all caught up on Rebirth will take more than enough time, and I'm sure by then SolC will reach a playable state for me. After all, it's been 20 years. What's another couple of years on top of that?

xaxazak

Post by xaxazak » 08 Apr 2015, 18:23

Thanks for that - I'll keep a watch on you guys too.

BTW, you could test with WinE if PG's DX9.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 08 Apr 2015, 18:42

Yeah, PG is actually DX9. If we weren't, I wouldn't be able to work on it. For the main game, I'm lucky enough to have my wife's laptop XD
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Post by DuderSeb » 08 Apr 2015, 19:02

Welcome aboard xaxazak!
xaxazak wrote:- Current status & schedule?
Dialing in our internal test build so that we can button it up for a closed beta with the community soon
xaxazak wrote:- Linux?
Unfortunately UE3 doesn't agree with Linux that much. That said, once in UE4 we will definitely look into it.
xaxazak wrote:- Will the game offer additional purchases (weapons, craft, etc). What about purely cosmetic purchases?
Proving Grounds will be absolutely free.
xaxazak wrote:- Does the game have any progression mechanics (skill-trees, weapon unlocking, etc).
Nope. Keeping it old school for PG ;)

We have a couple of really exciting updates and reveals within the coming days; stay tuned!!
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group