Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Apr 2015, 11:03

I know that Sol Contingency's website is out of action for now, but is there a better source of info on the game than here or the facebook page?
If not, you might want to put a brief "this is what Sol Contingency is" sticky topic on the forum to potentially get people like me interested.
An FAQ to tidy up those questions is about to go live on our website while it's being remade.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

xaxazak

Post by xaxazak » 12 Apr 2015, 10:06

Just saw your updated FAQ, it's a pretty clear description IMO.

Unless you're just about to throw up your website, I wonder if, going by your answers in this topic, you might want to throw in a paragraph about funding to get people like me more interested.
Basically, all you need to do is promise you won't have any gameplay-affecting purchases and you'll make us happy.
If you're sure you want to promise not to have even cosmetic microtransactions, you could also put that in, although I don't think those put many people off.

Also, if you have plans for allowing modding, you might want to put a mention of that in. People over at D:U seem pretty keen on this aspect (as am I).

BTW GL 4 PG.

1DVD4D2UDK

Post by 1DVD4D2UDK » 13 Apr 2015, 21:38

Cool Faq's Max! :D

Gonna repost it on DA soon, for some extra traffic from there too! :mrgreen:
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

cae2100

Post by cae2100 » 13 Apr 2015, 23:16

lol, I finally looked at the DU site and saw at the top of the topics, I believe the title was "how to prepare for sol c proving grounds", which kinda made me chuckle a little bit. I might have misread it, but pretty sure I saw it right.

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 14 Apr 2015, 00:01

you mean this?

Well as it turns out, their initial release (which is due out in August) is also called Proving Grounds x.x
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

Duper

Post by Duper » 14 Apr 2015, 01:02

Yeah Homey. He mentioned it during his stream at Tulsa the other day. I facepalmed big. :|

Interestingly, the name is present in This youtube trailer posted a bit over a year ago.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

homeyduh
SolC Team

Post by homeyduh » 14 Apr 2015, 01:08

Yeah I know. We've had that name for awhile now. That's why I was quite surprised x.x
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh

LotharBot

Post by LotharBot » 14 Apr 2015, 16:14

It's the standard US military term for a weapons test area. It's also the name of Descent 3 level 12. And it's the name of a WoW training area, an entire Americas Army game, a League of Legends training map, the World of Tanks tutorial level... it's not unlike having a "plasma gun" in a video game.

Poxy
Beta Tester

Post by Poxy » 15 Apr 2015, 04:49

That's completely absurd, LotharBot.

Like I said before, this is utter war between developers, with lawyers serving as the weapons. They clearly want to use their popularity to wipe SolC off the map. They want every google search for "Proving Grounds" to point them closer to D:U, rather than their direct 6DOF competitor, which is Sol Contingency. The idea that there is legitimate competition with real money at stake is not lost on me.

This war is only beginning. Friendly competition isn't going to happen here, no matter what we tell ourselves. There can be only one.

I say sue the fuck out of them.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 15 Apr 2015, 05:49

Whoa there. Why must there be bad blood between our two projects? Any so called war would not end well for this project, of that I am certain. D:U will get better funding, will be staffed by more resources, has a larger following and will offer a richer gameplay experience than we could ever hope to provide. Worst case we find a niche of competitive older players who are looking for something very specific. Best case, D:U injects thousands of new players into our little world of 6DoF loving fans who could happily enjoy both games. We have openly supported D:U and many of us backed their Kickstarter. I take Wingman at his word that they will support our crowd funding efforts too. Nobody needs to go sue or go to war with anyone. You all have the right to hold another opinion - I'd like to keep things friendly and see the bright side of things here. At least make an attempt to not poke the bear on our behalf please!
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding