Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

1DVD4D2UDK

Re: Some newbie questions about Sol Contingency.

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 15 Apr 2015, 06:20

½Hawk wrote:I'd like to keep things friendly and see the bright side of things here. At least make an attempt to not poke the bear on our behalf please!
I totally agree on that count! :D

As I've mentioned in another thread, competition between 2 or more
similar projects can only breed better products - to the advantage of
the consumer, in this case 6DoF fans and space shooter aficionados! 8-)
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 15 Apr 2015, 07:27

I'm just trying to stir up drama. Don't mind me.
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 15 Apr 2015, 13:53

Agree, it's like a hard to believe coincidence that two, three, four different 6DOF projects are just starting to appear right now after decades of silence in the genre. But whatever caused it -- it can only be good for players. There's not just one racing sim coming out this year either and that's great news for fans like me. Why can't it be the same for 6DOF? That said, I *am* concerned that the timing of D:U appearing right as we are about to launch could spell trouble for us, take away some of the popularity of SolC. Then again, it could go the other way around and just give more people exposure to our game, with Wingman and some D:U fans pointing the finger to us. So let's just see what happens and hope we, the devs, get enough funding together so we can make the great game our fans expect us to make.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
LotharBot

Postby LotharBot » 15 Apr 2015, 17:15

MadMax1998 wrote:hard to believe coincidence that two, three, four different 6DOF projects are just starting to appear right now after decades of silence in the genre.

It hasn't been decades of silence. It's been decades of loud shitty projects, loud half-finished attempts, and loud failures due to Interplay pulling support. Miner Wars, Retrovirus, Talon, and NeonXSZ were all either released or showing serious gameplay footage in late 2012 and early 2013. Before that there was dev work being done on Into Cerberon, Core Decision, Gunship Apocalypse, and the prior incarnation of GeoCore.

What's weird is we might have 3 actually-good 6dofs hit the market within 6 months of each other, instead of a bunch of bad 6dofs. SolC is finishing up a 3-year development cycle, GeoCore is potentially finishing up a 5+ year cycle, and STFU/D:U should be released in about a year.

it could go the other way around and just give more people exposure to our game, with Wingman and some D:U fans pointing the finger to us

We've already seen it -- there are people registering for this forum who came from D:U. There are people playing D1 who came from D:U. Pilots want to fly, and more pilots is a good thing, and any good 6dof is going to be creating new pilots and drawing the attention of old pilots. And you don't even have to deal with Interplay, you can just let their officially-licensed game drive traffic to yours :D
cae2100

Random Questions

Postby cae2100 » 18 Apr 2015, 05:08

Ive been curious about some things for a while and Im not sure if these have been answered before but here's my questions:

Will there be box sets made for the full game after proving grounds? I defenitely would buy it. I also hate getting a game and having to download the whole thing, to me, that's as bad as DLC, so a box set stuff would be awesome. I also know of alot of people that would benefit largely from that due to the fact that they have slow internet or get charged per gig for thier internet.

Another question is will we see the eclipse screenshot before the final game or do we just have to wait for proving grounds to be released? Ive been waiting to see what it really looks like after being made into the game engine since I believe that all we've really seen of it was the initial concept art drawing.

Lastly, I know it's not important at all, but I was wondering if we'd ever get a pic or anything on the site of the dev team, and everyone involved? That would be pretty cool to have to put faces to everyone.

Other than that, great work guys and Im beyond excited to play it, already rebuilt the gaming system to be ready for when it's released. :P
keep up all of the great work and thanks for all that you have done.
homeyduh
SolC Team

Re: Random Questions

Postby homeyduh » 18 Apr 2015, 05:39

cae2100 wrote:Lastly, I know it's not important at all, but I was wondering if we'd ever get a pic or anything on the site of the dev team, and everyone involved? That would be pretty cool to have to put faces to everyone.

Your name isn't Light Yagami, is it? Sorry I just had to ask lol :P
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Pumo

Postby Pumo » 18 Apr 2015, 06:01

Lol, that's a rather good question homeyduh! xD
cae2100

Postby cae2100 » 18 Apr 2015, 12:15

nope, Im just an ogre that everyone calls chirpy :P
DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Postby DuderSeb » 18 Apr 2015, 14:38

cae2100 wrote:Another question is will we see the eclipse screenshot before the final game or do we just have to wait for proving grounds to be released? Ive been waiting to see what it really looks like after being made into the game engine since I believe that all we've really seen of it was the initial concept art drawing.

Most definitely you will see it before release ;)
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group
cae2100

Postby cae2100 » 18 Apr 2015, 15:59

awesome, cant wait :P

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”