The hype is real.

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Poxy
Beta Tester

The hype is real.

Postby Poxy » 07 Oct 2015, 03:14

I was a playtester for SolC a few months ago. Trust me when I say this: The hype is real.

Sol Contingency is gonna be great. Even though the forums are a bit quiet, GET HYPED for an October release! This game is gonna ROCK. And it's gonna ROCK harder than Descent: Underground too!

Anyone else excited? Anyone else gonna play it on release day?

I am.
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Re: The hype is real.

Postby Yoshimitsu » 07 Oct 2015, 04:51

I'll be there! As soon as I'm off work for the day anyway :P I still think about how much fun our short session was and how I can't wait to do it all again!

Speaking as someone who's been playing Descent: Underground's Proving Grounds every night since they released it, I confidently say that SolC's will indeed be superior at launch if our test here was anything to judge by. Not knocking D:U, I'm having a great time in it, but it's a really REALLY rough first draft right now. Once it's polished and fully featured I think it'll be hard to choose between the two so I intend to play both :D

P.S. I'm choosing to take a silent forum as a sign of progress being made with all focus on that and none on telling us about it. After all that's the official word (which I trust oddly enough).
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 07 Oct 2015, 12:16

We are making very good progress indeed, and addressing two major things you guys pointed out in our test.

So D:U is out now? How is their MP component?
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
Duper

Postby Duper » 07 Oct 2015, 15:58

"out" as in mid alpha. You also need to anny-up $10/mo or $99.00/year for "The Underground" subscription. This gives you access to various things. Basically, it brings in a little more money to the project and helps them troubleshoot the game at this stage. They aren't very big man power wise. It also keeps the community interested.

So, "out".;)
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 07 Oct 2015, 19:03

Ha. I don't believe in "pay for mid-alpha" stuff.

If they released it publicly to people who paid for it, it is 100% released. This sort of "Play it while we continue developing it, but also pay for it" is a business model in its own way.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 07 Oct 2015, 19:23

Duper wrote:"out" as in mid alpha. You also need to anny-up $10/mo or $99.00/year for "The Underground" subscription.
So, "out".;)
I guess there'll be the normal steam involvement for D:U too?
and whatever fee's that are involved in that setup as well? :?:
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Duper

Postby Duper » 07 Oct 2015, 19:36

Sorry, no clue about this. You'd have to ask on their forums.
Duper

Postby Duper » 07 Oct 2015, 19:47

Poxy wrote:Ha. I don't believe in "pay for mid-alpha" stuff.

If they released it publicly to people who paid for it, it is 100% released. This sort of "Play it while we continue developing it, but also pay for it" is a business model in its own way.

This is becoming more common with the newer and various monetization models; and also with some kickstarter projects. It's fine for those who wish to participate and the D:U hasn't given anyone anything exclusive that would lead to an unfair advantage down the pipe. The Torch chassis is a good example. If you contribute to their stretch goal currently, you will have access later to the Torch drone. However, it's merely a skin. The actual stats will be the same as another ship that will be standard with the game. So they aren't selling "power".

Personally, I'm old school. I like going into the store and buying the game. Done. No booster packs, no leveling of weapons, none of the crazy shenanigans we've seen with some triple A products. I play Mass Effect 3 multi a fair bit and if anyone got monetization right, it was this crew. You can get anything you buy and grind it out at a reasonable rate. More over, what you buy is random. You buy credits and purchase the random booster packs like everyone else. So you get no unfair advantage, you simply get there faster. And, as it is a coop game like Left 4 Dead, "unfair advantage" becomes a moot point.
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 07 Oct 2015, 19:51

Goddamit. I just wrote up a detailed overview of D:U's present and future but it took so long that by the time I went to post it I had been automatically logged out and the post was lost :evil:

I'll try again later when I have time.

Short version: It's incomplete, buggy, and lots of fun.
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 07 Oct 2015, 20:33

Duper wrote:
This is becoming more common with the newer and various monetization models; and also with some kickstarter projects. It's fine for those who wish to participate and the D:U hasn't given anyone anything exclusive that would lead to an unfair advantage down the pipe.

I have nothing against it, honestly. I played Hawken while it was in "Beta" forever, and it was great. I just think it IS fair to judge a game after it's been released. D:U has been released, so acting like we should reserve judgment towards it until some arbitrary point that they say it's perfect doesn't make sense. It's been released and anyone can play it if they pay for it, and therefore, it can be judged as it is.

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”