Solc irc/discord etc.

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

youtle

Solc irc/discord etc.

Postby youtle » 01 Nov 2015, 01:46

for proving grounds it might be worth setting up something for people who want to organise matches or find others to play with. discord seems to be what people are using now it's pretty much an idiot proof irc and also has voicechat good for people who might not want to be bothered setting up irc.
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: Solc irc/discord etc.

Postby 1/2Hawk » 01 Nov 2015, 11:26

Haven't heard of discord yet, but probably a good idea to take a survey of what people have and like to use. Internally we mainly use Skype, Steam and TeamViewer everyday for development work, and sometimes Mumble for setting up test sessions, but none of those are great for finding a pickup game like you mention. What's everybody else think...
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
STealTH
Beta Tester

Postby STealTH » 02 Nov 2015, 06:06

An official chatroom or server that people can join anonymously or use handle would be amazing.
Kali was great as people who were not interested in playing Descent also join us. Some would play descent only because others around them played also.
So I guess communication is very important. Something that is easy to run. Discord sounds ok.

Perhaps be proactive and call it the '6DoF chatroom' or something, so people get curious and join in. Join the community.
Sol Contingency is a big release, true to the game we love and it's coming out first, which gives you a chance to monopolize, almost.
Advertise '6DoF'; it will get more traction than 'Sol Contingency' then let people decide which is best for themselves. They will choose this game.
The name Sol Contingency is hard enough to remember (unless we think SolC, which means... ?) :) Maybe you need to look into getting a good marketing person.
People remember single words (preferably action words) or 3 letter acronyms best. Our brains are wired that way. Then add a symbol (visual/ship?) to attach to that name.
Poxy
Beta Tester

Postby Poxy » 02 Nov 2015, 08:30

I think something like Kali or Vortex would be great, but made official.

Probably something like a game launcher, where when you press the SolC icon on your desktop or whatever, it opens a launcher, rather than going right to the game.
The launcher can handle updates and stuff, as well as include a chat program, with the ability to even make custom rooms or channels, as well as utilize a person to person private messaging service.
With OTR encryption, of course.

Probably just combine IRC with XMPP or something.
Urungus
Beta Tester

Postby Urungus » 02 Nov 2015, 15:28

Interestingly, Kali and Kahn are still available. I tried running the setup of Kali on Windows 10, it unpacks then...nothing. I can't even find whee it unpacks to.

Discord is Peer to Peer? You'd still need to announce who is starting the server unless someone has a permanent place for it.

I use Steam. Friends list, Chat, Voice call, Join Game functions and the software is free.
We're going to need a bigger boat.
Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Postby Earthshaker » 02 Nov 2015, 15:54

Discord seems cool - has a definite Slack-like feel which I'm already familiar with. Like Urungus said, though, the drawback seems to be it requires hosting, unlike IRC where we could just bundle ourselves into an agreed-upon channel on an existing network.

If Discord gets the votes, I rent a dedicated server in Germany that I only use for a small Minecraft community, so I could possibly stick it on there and leave it running... trouble is they don't seem to have Linux software ready yet :)

For what it's worth, #SolContingency on QuakeNet seems available...

*goes back to F5-ing the homepage and forum index*
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 02 Nov 2015, 16:37

I'm sure discord is a good option, but I also like Steam. We used that last time and it seemed to work very well. It has both voice and text chat with an overlay that can be accessed ingame if it's set up the right way. As Urungus says, it's free and also widely used. I imagine a public Sol Contingency steam group would be an excellent thing to have.
youtle

Postby youtle » 02 Nov 2015, 16:42

Earthshaker is right discord is hosted not peer to peer but i don't think you can host your own servers using it.
I guess one thing is that regular players probably won't be bothered registering for forums, downloading more clients etc discord handles this pretty well since you can get straight on in a browser with the invite link and username.
of course most people use steam aswell though discord is more like a mix between irc and mumble/teamspeak both are free so i don't see any reason not to use both even
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 02 Nov 2015, 16:48

Mumble is good too. I always use the Descent Rangers' server when I'm playing classic Descent. More options is great!
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 02 Nov 2015, 17:54

A couple quick advantages for using our Steam community are:
- Has voice as mentioned
- You need Steam already to participate and is the easiest way to hop on a server
- It's accessible in-game thru the Shift-Tab keystroke
- You can invite players to join your game (though not sure this works since we're not green lit yet)
- You can pump a vid feed to others who aren't on the beta (same)
- Us devs sit on Steam when we're on so you can reach us that way easily
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”