6DoF multiplayer for a newbie

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Quadruplesword

6DoF multiplayer for a newbie

Postby Quadruplesword » 04 Mar 2016, 20:31

With the current renaissance of 6DoF shooters occurring right now, I've taken it upon myself to look at some multiplayer matches of Descent 3. I must say, it looks absolutely visceral and an absolute blast, but there's always that question in the back of my mind whenever I look at getting into a multiplayer game: How is the newbie experience? Despite having known about Descent for years, I've never actually touched the multiplayer component. Arena shooters already have a pretty steep learning curve for new players, and the addition of 6DoF only makes that curve steeper.

My question is, when this game releases, do you guys have any plans for how to ease newbies into the 6DoF multiplayer experience? Now, mind you, I'm not asking for simplification of the mechanics or "dumbing down", as it were. Just a way for a 6DoF newbie like myself to have an easier time getting into the multiplayer.
Urungus
Beta Tester

Re: 6DoF multiplayer for a newbie

Postby Urungus » 08 Mar 2016, 06:27

Perhaps this example of a learning curve from another game called EVE Online would help explain.
jj16ThL.jpg

Honestly, I'd just ask anyone here yo jump into a game with you and get you started. Take it easy for a few minutes.
We're going to need a bigger boat.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 15 Apr 2016, 04:31

Urungus wrote:Perhaps this example of a learning curve from another game called EVE Online would help explain.
Heh! Any plans for a SCPG comic? LOL! & kudos on your graphics! :lol:
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
Halogene

Postby Halogene » 15 Apr 2016, 09:15

From my personal limited experience with online gaming communities I would like to add that it improves the newbie experience a lot if the experienced, skilled players embrace newcomers with openness and friendliness. Sharing not so obvious gameplay tricks or movement mechanics when asked, or telling even without being asked when you notice that someone apparently doesn't know about a certain game element will help newbies a lot to overcome the first uncertainties and integrate them quicker into the gaming community. Spreading friendliness and helpfulness also pays off since it encourages newbies that stick to the game to give back to the community and likewise embrace newbies in a friendly way and share their gained experience with them. I have found that once successful, it will become a more or less self-sustaining community culture. It may sound bloody obvious, but growing and maintaining a friendly gaming culture is a task that requires a lot of efforts from many people and should not be underestimated, but imho is one of the best ways to improve newbie experience.

Skilled players that raid an ongoing deathmatch game of beginner level players and rape everyone in sight in no time while shout-chatting "NOOB" at them will have quite the opposite effect.

/me is aka captain obvious
Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Postby Yoshimitsu » 15 Apr 2016, 15:41

I agree completely with Halogene. Friendly communication right off the bat is key.

I was new to multiplayer 6Dof last year myself and when I started I would always introduce myself at the beginning of a game and let the other players know I was new-ish but not to go too easy on me. I found a tremendously welcoming and helpful crowd waiting for me and I've tried to do the same for others even newer than myself.

My experience of the 6Dof community in general has been extremely positive and I hope the trend continues in Sol Contingency.
DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Postby DuderSeb » 15 Apr 2016, 17:55

Couldn't agree with you guys more. Us "devs" are all gamers and community members first; hell, it was only through the friendliness and acceptance of all of you that SolC even took off the ground - we fully intend on always fostering that warmth and positivism that helped get us here. Y'all rock!
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Postby 1/2Hawk » 16 Apr 2016, 00:50

T is the key bind to type in chat to others new guys - FYI
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Postby Vertigo Fox » 17 Apr 2016, 23:00

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:Heh! Any plans for a SCPG comic?

As I remember, Seb (I think it was Seb) and I had an idea kinda like that to introduce some backstory when the singleplayer game goes into development, so the game itself can launch into the meat of the plot without a lot of expository cutscenes.
Not sure if it's still on the table, but it would certainly be cool to do.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 20 Apr 2016, 04:32

Vertigo Fox wrote:
1DVD4D2UDK wrote:Heh! Any plans for a SCPG comic?

As I remember, Seb (I think it was Seb) and I had an idea kinda like that to introduce some backstory when the singleplayer game goes into development, so the game itself can launch into the meat of the plot without a lot of expository cutscenes.
Not sure if it's still on the table, but it would certainly be cool to do.
I couldn't agree with you more!

But would be a topic for another thread, as I
forgot to comment on the topic for this one! :|

Which is as I thought it would be,
Newbie friendly & very helpful!☺
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”