Introduce yourself!

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

1DVD4D2UDK

Re: Hello from Psion

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 17 Dec 2014, 21:29

Psion wrote:
1DVD4D2UDK wrote:Hopefully with you onboard we'll be on the servers before XMas! :D

BTW, do you happen to know Psionic? Popular for his ut2k4 mods.☺

Ah I just noticed this post - sorry. I do not know him, no.
You may yet meet him somewhere along the way, since the road to fruition for SolC should be long & plentiful! :D
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
cae2100

Hi from chirpy

Postby cae2100 » 20 Dec 2014, 10:16

Well, I guess Ill finally introduce myself. Ive been here lurking since the beginning, following along with the progress of everything, and been excited about the project since day one.
I originally started playing descent when it first came out on the old PPC macintosh, which was back in 96 I believe, and still have the game cd but the mac wore out, then over the years, Ive collected other versions from other systems and such, so I have a decently large collection.

After playing the crap out of the first two descent games, I bought the third one, and dug an old computer that was junk out of the trash at the highschool next door so I could play it, but couldnt play it due to needing accelerated graphics, so over time, I learned how to modify it so that would play descent 3. I believe it was an old 233Mhz pentium, 128MB ram, 8GB harddrive, and a 16MB video card that someone gave me, and I loved that old thing, but it crashed nonstop, so after a while of fixing it so I could play my descent games on it, I got pretty good at it and eventually got into a career of computer repair.

Now I work in a field of robotics and programming, and mainly all of it is because of wanting to play the games, so having to learn how to build and fix what I needed to to play them. :P

So yea, alot of the directions Ive taken was bc I wanted to play my descent games, and I still do play it on almost a daily basis, but I use d1x-rebirth and d2x-rebirth on my raspberry pi and a large flatscreen to play it now. :P

PS. still love playing lvl 20 on D1 as robo anarchy, hard version, gotta love total mayhem :P
1DVD4D2UDK

Re: Welcome to the forum!

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 20 Dec 2014, 17:47

Well, happy belated welcome to the forums! :D
And of course, have a Merry Descent Xmas! :)
1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Re: Hi from chirpy

Postby 1/2Hawk » 21 Dec 2014, 08:27

cae2100 wrote:Now I work in a field of robotics and programming
Ooh - explain. I got my start doing this too.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding
cae2100

Postby cae2100 » 21 Dec 2014, 10:59

well, got started in programming by trying to create interfaces using vb6 and python for the computer to interface with microcontrollers over RF transmitters/recievers to control my little robots, but eventually upgraded to C++ and started doing stuff like robotic arms and such for various companies, like assembly line robots. The end robot originally was a 2-3 foot tall johnny 5 robot that I never really did finish, but is partly done, lol.

I eventually just took a break from that and went to build 3d printers and design software for them. Here's the first thing I printed on my large 3d printer, which one of them were shipped off to the world's largest descent collection. The files are there, you just print them out and you have it, but you need to upscale it a little bit to the size you wanted, it's a dinky little thing atm.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:108418

That's about it for now.
ShadesMaster

Postby ShadesMaster » 28 Feb 2015, 23:17

Hey all, Chris Shades here!!!!
I've actually BEEN a member to the forums, but took a hiatus - seeing the recent surge in activity for this mod however has inspired me. I mean business this time and will basically take the 'Ray Luna' approach to get something acceptable submitted to map for this thing. Just nabbed the UDK 2015 now! :D
- SHADESMAN in the house!!!!
homeyduh
SolC Team

Postby homeyduh » 01 Mar 2015, 02:43

I didn't know that getting into the team has earned a title for people who want to "Ray Luna" their way in ;) lol best of luck!
Sol Contingency mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Community Relations, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Rags

Postby Rags » 16 Mar 2015, 22:54

I am new. Just learned about this game through D:U. I have waited decades for a return of Descent, and the KS of D:U just saddened me. So someone linked a video from October 2014 on youtube and I was so damn impressed. No other game apart from Star Citizen has gotten me so excited.

Quake Live and UT4 is my game of choice and I do web development by trade. I also am a hobbyist 3d modeller and have done a some architectural rendering stuff in UDK and have made maps for ut'99 and u2k4 and been toying with ue4. Maybe I can help with an asset or two ;) This game mechanics seem so similar to my beloved arena shooters, apart from the lack of boots on the ground. :D

Very excited and well done with all the work so far. Its just a shame that you lack publicity. You guys really deserve a larger following.
GL&HF
Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Postby Vertigo Fox » 17 Mar 2015, 02:46

This is what I was saying about their publicity being a benefit to us as well. :D
Welcome to the forums although it's a little early to welcome you to Proving Grounds. Only a little now!
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 17 Mar 2015, 05:05

Vertigo Fox wrote:This is what I was saying about their publicity being a benefit to us as well. :D
Welcome to the forums although it's a little early to welcome you to Proving Grounds. Only a little now!
Agreed! Any new 6DoF games are bound to lead gamers here at
one point or another! Yay! For freedom of speech & free press! ☺

Return to “Sol Contingency General Discussion”