A few things already

Report problems and bugs you have encountered while playing the beta.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

A few things already

Post by Vertigo Fox » 05 Nov 2015, 06:56

First of all, the game runs on integrated graphics by default. Although I'm amazed at the framerates I got on one of the maps (Vertigo) before I realized this. I don't know if this is a bug with the game or my computer, but there must be something in the game that the computer uses to decide this.

Secondly when I'm adjusting video options the game will often switch to an 800x600 resolution randomly. I literally can't select certain screen resolutions like 1024x768 without this happening.

Finally, although my framerates are great on Vertigo and Icebreaker on Neptune they drop to barely playable levels and nothing I change in the graphics options actually changes the framerate on that map at all -- although it varies from room to room, it doesn't get any better on lower settings or any worse on higher settings like you'd expect if it was just too intense for my graphics card (which it shouldn't be, my old computer could run the completed version of that map at better framerates when we were doing the internal testing). May or may not be worth mentioning I also get better framerates on UE4 games at comparable settings.
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: A few things already

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 14:23

Fox, if the game runs on integrated graphics that is something to set up in your Nvidia or AMD control panel. You should be able to define what applications run through the 3D chip; add the path to our game there. The binary is in the build installation folder/Binaries/Win32/UDK.exe

Whenever you adjust a video setting and click "apply", it will switch to 800x600 and then back to whatever resolution you had before that. This is perfectly normal and designed this way. The game should *not* stick with 800x600 though UNLESS you are using a batch file with a preset resolution (like the one ending in "_windowed_log"), in which case this can happen. But once you manually set a new resolution through the video options, the problem should be gone.

As for framerates, please figure out first how to run the game through your 3D chip.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 05 Nov 2015, 15:11

I have figured out how to run it through the 3D chip, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted your time with a framerate issue.
We discussed integrated graphics once before, and I don't tend to forget things.
I can't do it through the Nvidia control panel though, I tried that with plenty of other programs before and the settings just don't stick. I think I'd need to talk to Microsoft about that bugfix... but I know what they're like about bugfixes.

As for the resolution, I'm talking about the game sticking on 800x600 after the change is complete -- meaning I have to change the resolution setting again and then apply. I'm running straight through UDK.exe so that I can right-click and choose "run with Nvidia Processor".
Sol-C Pet Cat

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 15:16

Hmm, it hasn't happened to me. We'll need to see if others can confirm this.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 05 Nov 2015, 18:32

The resolution thing isn't a big deal, just a little bit annoying.
In the meantime I'll try reinstalling, see if it either fixes it or if the installer gives me an error I didn't notice before.
Sol-C Pet Cat

toon_ninja
Beta Tester

Post by toon_ninja » 06 Nov 2015, 10:25

This is a hardware issue caused by a number of known factors.
-AMD chip with vNidia graphics
-Windows 8/10 not understanding full game files. (It only recognizes the game launcher, thus needing very little graphics power and the GPU not kicking in.)
-Either the nVidia or Catalyst control GUI is having a hard time taking priority over the OS GPU selection.
Į̫͖̙͕̰nto̷̺̫ ̷̺t̫̖̘̳ͅh̫͙̤̭͔̝̩e͏ ̨a̙b̼̦y̖s̭s̵͇͓̩̜̘ͅ ̤̣͉̞̯͙̥w͙̞̝͟ͅe̗ ͙̩̯͝f̨̩̗̫̰̟̳l̼̠̜̺̫̟̖̀y͉̘̹̹͈̦̣.̜͉̗̜̙.͖̲͎̗̙͟.̧̰

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 07 Nov 2015, 02:02

Well the last one's what I thought, that's why I said I'd have to go to microsoft for a bugfix and not nVidia. Problem is microsoft doesn't like to bugfix, they like to deny the existence of bugs so they don't have to do anything. :P
Sol-C Pet Cat

Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Post by Vertigo Fox » 13 Nov 2015, 02:42

As of beta 2 my framerates in Neptune are fine again.
Sol-C Pet Cat

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 13 Nov 2015, 12:00

Wait for R3 and it will be even better.
Max
Sol Contingency Website