t16000 joystick support

For technical problems with the build. Not for bug reports!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

t16000 joystick support

Post by Whiteshark » 05 Nov 2015, 14:28

I can set x and y axis all right, but I cannot set the roll or z-axis (thrust controller). Instead the game sets the axis to an odd "right-x" that seems to be on all the time, making my ship spin when I set it to roll the ship.
My joystick is thrustmaster t16000m and I have only keyboard, stick, mouse and a usb stick connected with usb so I don't see where the right-x axis comes from.
Without a joystick attached the game does not set the right-x axis.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: t16000 joystick support

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 14:39

My guess is that the roll axis of that stick goes from 0 to 1 and not from -1 to +1. This would usually happen on a stick's throttle axis, not the twist axis. Can you confirm that your stick has an axis that goes in one direction only? You can probably see this if you go to the Windows devices and bring up the game controller settings for your stick, and then the page where it allows you to test axes.

If you roll axis goes only in one direction, it will probably be represented by a bar going from empty to full instead of starting in the middle and going left/right as you twist the stick.

BTW, I have a Saitek Cyborg EVO which has a normal (two-way) twist axis and that works for roll. So it must be something specific to the Thrustmaster.

You can also try starting out from the input preset called "flight stick" and see if that makes anything better, but you should save your current config to the custom preset first (go to the input screen and hit the "save" button) so tyou can recall your own bindings later.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 05 Nov 2015, 14:42

The roll goes normally from -1 to 1. I also tried now with a logitech 3d extreme stick and the same bug was present, although the stick's roll doesn't work.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 14:45

That is weird, I never had issues with my stick. Reading your post again I understand it so that you are trying to set the throttle axis on your stick to roll in the game? The throttle axis may go from 0 to 1 and not from -1 to +1. Can you check that again please?
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 05 Nov 2015, 14:49

I am trying to set the roll to stick roll, but neither that or the throttle control works. I think my throttle axis goes from 0 to 1 but it has no effect on the game. I cannot set it nor does it affect the "right-x" axis ingame.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 14:53

Okay, I just connected my Saitek stick and manually bound all axes to the game's axes. I have no problems, but none of the Saitek's axes are one-way, even the throttle axis is two-way.

When you try to bind the axes, does the menu give you feedback (as in, show that it has bound an axis to the one you wanted? Can you please list all the axes you are trying to use and what they do exactly?
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 05 Nov 2015, 14:56

If I do nothing the axis is set to "right-x". If I turn my joystick left or right it gives me "left-x". If I turn it up or down it gives me "left-y". Throttle and roll do not affect it anyhow, so the axis is set to "right-x".

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 05 Nov 2015, 15:02

Ok by removing the roll axis from use (using thrustmaster's program) the right-x is no longer set. Setting the z-roll to z-axis (again using the software) isn't recognized by the game. I'll do some more testing now.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 05 Nov 2015, 15:04

Oh no the game doesn't recognize the stick

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 05 Nov 2015, 15:05

I think I know what's going on.

Firstly, don't be confused by the "left-x" and "right-x" names; these are XInput's names for the dual stick layout on an XBox controller -- "left-x" means left stick, x-axis. Your joystick will use four axes that are replacing an XBox controller's two sticks with two axes each (named "left" and "right").

Now if your stick is in its neutral position and you try to bind anything and it shows you a result immediately without you moving the stick, then that means that this particular axis (whatever axis it is) is sending input in its "neutral" state. Like (example) if you have your throttle axis in the middle but it's a one-way axis, then it would send 50% forward input.

Can you confirm this?

I've also posted a new announcement here since our game does not support one-way axes yet, but I'll put that in soon!

EDIT: Can you try using your stick without Thrustmaster's software active?
Max
Sol Contingency Website