Poxy's Controversial, Absolute Madness Suggestion Thread

Discuss anything about the beta here that does not fit into the other subforums.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Poxy
Beta Tester

Poxy's Controversial, Absolute Madness Suggestion Thread

Post by Poxy » 06 Nov 2015, 00:00

This thread is for all my craaazy ideas that could completely upset, change, modify, invert and twist the mechanics of the game, perhaps to unreasonable levels.

I'll post them as I think of them. Check back every so often, and reply at your leisure.

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Re: Poxy's Controversial, Absolute Madness Suggestion Thread

Post by DuderSeb » 06 Nov 2015, 00:08

*Subscribed!*
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 00:29

We need an Audio mod using D:U's announcer to tell everybody when anybody does anything... WIN
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Earthshaker
Beta Tester

Post by Earthshaker » 06 Nov 2015, 13:23

Plenty of room for helpful messages for sure...

"A PLAYER HAS JUST FIRED A FLARE!"

"YOU HAVE JUST COLLIDED WITH A DOORFRAME FOR THE - NINETY... SEVENTH - TIME!"

/hijack

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 06 Nov 2015, 18:27

Note on door frames ...

If you get hung up for a sec and can then fly thru without reorientation ... this is actually the blocking volume on the doors themselves lagging a bit to get out of the way. This is handled over net traffic like most other things so all players see the door opening at the same time, so yes there is client lag from what you see and what happens behind the scenes. The worse your ping, the more likely you'll get stuck. One thing I see new players doing all the time is waiting until they're right on top of the door before trying to open it. If you watch us, we'll almost always flare a door from a ways out to NOT get hung up, and only bump it open if we're being sneaky or out of energy. Pro Tip.

Now, if you get hung up where you can't ever move forward without repositioning then try and aim for the middle of the door better (?). Generally this shouldn't happen because of the way I've got the level geometry collision setup. As mentioned in your other thread - there is nothing we can do about using a soup-can cylinder as a primitive shape for collision given the engine we are using. Yes we would love to use a sphere - no shit. However, keeping in mind that we're stuck with a cylinder, I've actually completely removed all player collision from all our static meshes and have hand-created custom blocking volumes for every map.

What you see and what you bump into are two completely different things. This allows you guys to wall slide in most places and not get hung on little bits of stuff here and there while dog fighting. Almost every door is generously chamfered towards the center per below - however there are a few places where this is super difficult. (The doors in the floors of IceBreaker for example dont have a lot of room to guide players). Opening these wider yields a sharper ramp and more parts of the ship to visibly clip inside the door frames, so that's not really an answer. Can't promise I got it perfect, so please report back (screenshots are helpful people) places you always seem to get stuck and I'll try and rework those areas.

UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 07 Nov 2015, 03:30

1/2Hawk wrote:We need an Audio mod using D:U's announcer to tell everybody when anybody does anything... WIN
SOMEONE IS DODGING!
SOMEONE IS DODGING!

metalgunner87
SolC Development Lead

Post by metalgunner87 » 09 Nov 2015, 16:53

i do have to say as the Audio guy, when i heard D:U's already "infamous" SOMEONE IS CHARGING! i channeled my inner AVGN and said, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???" so yeah, maybe we can have that as a feature hidden someone in the game menu options and call it, "D:U Announcer"? or maybe an achievement?

that just cracked me up so much!

Lady Silver
Beta Tester

Post by Lady Silver » 16 Nov 2015, 06:53

Playing in the Sol C mines today I got stuck on a wall somewhere and was blown up as a result. I just figured you guys left those little areas in there on purpose as a shout out to Descent 1, to allow us to get all misty-eyed with nostalgic overload. ;) ;)

Wookie
Beta Tester

Post by Wookie » 16 Nov 2015, 12:00

adressing doors and stuff:
these things "stand out" too much
2015-11-11_00002.jpg
door thingie
its a small bump but it can stop your ship
2015-11-11_00001_.jpg
bump

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 16 Nov 2015, 19:08

Checked in on this ^ ... yeah these were set to block the player - nice find Wookie. After turning off collision though, found that this isn't what's causing the problem. The collision on these was buried inside the collision of the yellow striped ring already (which is why I didn't see it before). The problem is our player collision is forced to be an upright cylinder and squeezing that thru a ring is literally fitting a square peg in a round hole. Will be much better in UE4 when we can use spherical collisions for these cases. For now, the corners caused by a flat bottomed cylinder are catching up on that yellow ring. ARGH