Gattling gun

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Wookie
Beta Tester

Gattling gun

Post by Wookie » 06 Nov 2015, 22:39

this is the first weapon i have tested , so it might apply on several others too, cant tell yet.

when firing the gun - it takes a while to spin up, therefor delaying the actual impact time on the target.
its the delay i have trouble with.
i know its a gattling gun and the spin up is a part of the guncharacteristics . but for gameplay this delay is poison for aiming.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Re: Gattling gun

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 01:25

I see your point Wookie, and somewhat agree, but I also like the component. A veteran pilot will know how long they have to hold FIRE down to get the gun to start shooting JUST as they turn a corner and such other tactics. I think it allows for "mastery" in the game, besides flying ability.

Wookie
Beta Tester

Post by Wookie » 07 Nov 2015, 01:30

yeah, i get that.
maybe i want it too much to be like it was in D2/D3.
i´m not sure in which direction the dev team is going. more the "new stuff" way or try to get the old "stuff/ways" back.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 01:34

I think they want more of a "old to new" feel. Here is another thread that might explain that better. http://forum.preparefordescent.com/view ... f=27&t=622 Look in the middle of the first page.

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 07 Nov 2015, 02:04

The impact should be instant in my opinion. This is counter intuitive though.
A gattling gun is generally a weapon that needs a moment to be at full power so that sounds like it's working as intended.

However, that doesn't work for 1on1s where you don't have a split second to spare.
1on1s require that you act on instinct and you may be passing your opponent by for only 2 seconds.
As such, if it starts slow it may not be so great for tunnel rats.
In long distances this is a weapon that should be used to not give your opponent a chance.

All this also depends on who is flying the ship. Vets can use flares to create lighting to throw off players, homers when people are around corners and popping out, atlas used with gattling (both reach target super fast), dumbfire missiles and low speed primaries to coral players into the flight patterns that were previously found, etc...

The gattling is a type of weapon one could use when the score is 5-10 and they are already not feeling good, in a dogfight, to increase the margin. To be used to get an edge psychologically. Of course, vets know how to get out of that.
But if it takes time to be at 100% as all gattlings probably should, then it may not be optimal. I don't know how developers would like to approach this one. It's a 'do what makes sense'.. or 'do what makes sense in-game' type thing.

Hrm, gattling gun sound, being heard before it hits is also a deterrent. Vets would tricord towards the opposite side with slow fire where the sound came from, while strafing, the fire covers a greater area giving them a double advantage.

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 07 Nov 2015, 02:51

The gattling gun currently sounds like it's a good option for dogfighting, the firing graphics are very distracting for me. Cool weapon though :)

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 12:21

ermh... the gatling gun isn't really meant for close quarter fighting right now. It's a projectile weapon (rather than hitscan) with perfect accuracy (unlike in D1/2 where the Vulcan had spread). It's a very powerful long-range assault weapon though. Right now the long corridor in Neptune, which connects gatling/cerberus/invisibility with Ion/Atlas room is probably the only viable scenarios where it really shows it's power.

It's also very good for following someone, when they are on the run (though I still prefer it had some spread and be hitscan).

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 12:30

The only hitscan weapon in descents is MD. And that sucked hard. I think the gatling is finely balanced at the moment.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 12:46

Whiteshark wrote:The only hitscan weapon in descents is MD. And that sucked hard. I think the gatling is finely balanced at the moment.
The mass driver was a very strong weapon tbh.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 12:50

By sucked hard I mean it sucks it was so powerful, lol.