The joystick development thread

For technical problems with the build. Not for bug reports!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MaxT
Beta Tester

Re: The joystick development thread

Post by MaxT » 11 Nov 2015, 17:43

I don't have TARGET installed. Only the standalone driver.
Would I be looking for UE3 games? If so, I think I have BioShock Infinite, Dishonored, and Borderlands/Borderlands2. Not sure if any of them have joystick support.

MaxT
Beta Tester

Post by MaxT » 12 Nov 2015, 04:16

Installing TARGET makes things worse. When a virtual Joystick is active, the game does not see the joystick at all. It most likely switches to using DirectInput.

The Xbox wrapper is the only way to get everything to work for now (without TARGET or JoyToKey).

I am downloading Borderlands 2 to test joystick support. I believe it is running on Unreal 3 engine.

EDIT: Borderlands 2 has the same problem. My character just spins in one place. :p I looked this up, and apparently this is a common issue with UE3. People would either use the xbox wrapper or disable/unplug the HID devices (game controllers).

I can personally live with using the wrapper, however, I am not sure what kind of impression this would make on a less technical crowd during open beta.

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 12 Nov 2015, 06:28

I do not have any games that run on the unreal engine and use the joystick :(
I checked this entire list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... gine_games
Is there any free one that can be downloaded for the purpose of this test?

On another note, MaxT, have you noticed joystick lag? when I use the wrapper every input has a .5-1 second lag. That includes firing and X/Y axis movement.

MaxT
Beta Tester

Post by MaxT » 12 Nov 2015, 06:45

No lag for me. Very responsive in my testing. I have a pretty high end PC though, not sure if that makes a difference.

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 12 Nov 2015, 08:20

GTX970 with quadcore i7 and 16gb ram here. Hrm.

Back on topic.

I wonder who has been successful so far, without a wrapper, and what they use.
I mean, if it doesn't work for one perhaps it shouldn't work for anyone.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 12 Nov 2015, 13:15

Like I said, my Saitek Cyborg EVO (pretty old by now) works flawlessly without a wrapper.

It's very interesting that all UE3 games have the same problem. I can't imagine what the difference between this engine and another engine is, since they all interpret XInput axes, and XInput is supposed to be a Windows standard across devices and engines after all.

So basically, if you guys use a wrapper for your stick, it sends data as DirectInput and the wrapper converts it to XInput "properly"? Or does the wrapper take existing XInput data from the stick and convert to new bindings? I wonder if these wrappers can do that, or if they actually do require DirectInput as the base (in which case some XInput-only devices may not even work with the wrapper).
I can personally live with using the wrapper, however, I am not sure what kind of impression this would make on a less technical crowd during open beta.
There is nothing we can do about this if we don't find another solution, since the engine source is inaccessible to UDK developers. We can only code game stuff, not technical stuff. Another reason to move to UE4 for the full game.
If people have to use a wrapper for their sticks, we should provide them with tested and working wrapper templates to make it super easy for them.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

MaxT
Beta Tester

Post by MaxT » 12 Nov 2015, 14:08

If I am not mistaken, T.16000m is using XInput with only the driver installed, as I can bind most of the axes in game. If it was using DirectInput, I wouldn't be able to bind anything at all.
So it looks like the wrapper, in this case, takes the existing XInput and converts it to new bindings. But it's definitely also capable of taking DirectInput and converting that to XInput.

To me it seems like the UE3 is only designed to support the XBOX controller and no other joysticks/gamepads. When you get one that matches some axes up, they bind in game just fine, but others don't match up and the game cannot see them (just keeps sending -1.0000 on the axes it cannot see) no matter what we do. But with the wrapper, it can take any axis and output it as the correct XBOX controller axis.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 12 Nov 2015, 14:22

The wrapper works perfectly with me, so I'm good waiting for the convert to ud4.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 12 Nov 2015, 21:09

Good news is, I've been working all day on the input code and have figured out a way to avoid your axes from spamming RightX all the time. So with R3 you should at least be able to bind the axes that work, through the menu, and the game will ignore whatever axes don't work. The fix is based on the suggestion I read somewhere here that the game should read the difference in axis input instead of the divergence from zero. That will fix your issues at least so far, and you can use whatever axes do work with our game.

If you guys find the best wrapper and make a map for it that works with other sticks to (as in, the same map can be used for TM and Logitech sticks), I'd like to include it in the final release so other players can benefit from our work.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 13 Nov 2015, 01:13

This is the step-by-step guide for the X360 I wrote in another thread:
http://forum.preparefordescent.com/view ... f=31&t=659

As we see there, I remove all bindings and start from scratch to make things work.
My issue with it is that while every input works, all inputs work with a .5-1 second delay.

I was under the impression that MaxT and I had the same issue.
MaxT does not get readings for the twist, yet I do. I wonder about this.
Both of us are not able to bind twist in the current build, in the axis menu.
However, only I am able to control 1,000 to -1,000 for the twist in the test build.

Considering that the issue in my testing the Logitech joystick in the test build seemed to be the spamming of RightX, I look forward R3!