The joystick development thread

For technical problems with the build. Not for bug reports!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Re: The joystick development thread

Post by MadMax1998 » 13 Nov 2015, 12:01

Yeah R3 should allow you to bind your twist at least.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

MaxT
Beta Tester

Post by MaxT » 17 Nov 2015, 01:50

R3 binding seems to work great (twist and throttle still doesn't work, as we expected).

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 17 Nov 2015, 13:15

Good.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 18 Nov 2015, 01:05

All axis (including twist) for the Logitech 3D Extreme now work perfectly, without any third party software.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 27 Nov 2015, 20:53

T16000m still roll or throttle not recognized without wrapper.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 16 Dec 2015, 18:04

Testers, the new R4 build just released has a new linearity slider in the joystick settings. Please check that out and report back if it helps you dial in the accuracy of your joystick further.

From the readme:
* Setting a linearity slider at 100% (default) provides linear response to the joystick's input, i.e. 12% input == 12% ship output. Lowering the slider to anything less than 100% reduces the linearity in response, resulting in a more accurate/slower output around the center of the joystick axis. Set these sliders to taste -- as an example, a slider value of 33% provides 25% output when giving 50% input from the axis. Values higher than 33% respond quicker while lower than 33% respond slower. 10% is an extreme which is not really useful but included to provide enough range.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 18 Dec 2015, 14:19

Hey testers, if you think that the linearity sliders are not doing what you think they should be doing, try these console commands and see if it feels better:

yaw: SetJoyLinearityX <float>
pitch: SetJoyLinearityY <float>
roll: SetJoyLinearityZ <float>
forward: SetJoyLinearityF <float>
left/right: SetJoyLinearityS <float>
up/down: SetJoyLinearityU <float>

where <float> is a floating-point value between 0.1 and infinity.

1.0 is default (linear response, as in 100% on the slider). Lower than 1.0 corresponds to the slider going lower than 100% (so just use the slider for that), but if you go greater than 1.0 (which the slider can't do), it ramps the input in the opposite direction, therefore making the stick more sensitive and less accurate at the center. While I didn't include this on the UI sliders because nobody asked for it, perhaps this is what some of you actually wanted (if so, we can put it on the sliders later).

Please report your success.
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 18 Dec 2015, 15:52

Thanks for adding this feature Max. It is indeed exactly what I was asking for. I didn't have enough time last night to join anyone for combat but I was able to fly for a little while on my own to test the movement.

The new slider is working precisely the way I hoped for. Unfortunately it turns out that my assumptions about what would make joystick control easier were wrong. When I decrease the percentage I am more accurate around stick center but then when I go to full turn, the ramp up in acceleration makes the ship feel like it's jerking out of control and I overcompensate to bring myself back in line.

I'll have to try these console commands tonight. I discovered right near the end of R3 that my xinput wrapper actually had these settings so I played around with them and what I found there leads me to believe that a value of 1.1 to 1.2 will give me what I'm after. Look here for my findings with the wrapper settings http://forum.sol-contingency.com/viewto ... 795#p12795

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 19 Dec 2015, 01:50

Alright. After a few games tonight and some more flying around solo, I have decided that the best settings for me are a deadzone of 5% and linearity setting of 115%. I used those console commands you gave us I set each of my rotation axis to 1.15 Much to my surprise I found that my joysticks felt much smoother and more responsive leading to better aim and more kills than I'm used to (of course the rebalanced weapons might have contributed as well).

For me at least the ability to adjust the acceleration curve is a huge benefit, and I would say that yes, we need to be able to go above 100 with the slider.

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 19 Dec 2015, 02:34

Thanks Yoshi. I can make the slider two-way on the next build (whenever that hits).

Although I will say that I'm surprised by this; you said you used a short-throw stick and wanted more accuracy, not faster response; hence why I left out an option to go >100%.
Max
Sol Contingency Website