I've got something to say

Pilots, this is where we want to hear from you! Tell us what you think of Proving Grounds!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Bryan See

I've got something to say

Post by Bryan See » 13 Jun 2016, 04:42

It's been almost a month after I first played SolC: PG. It somewhat reignited my fond of 6DoF games such as the Descent series of games.

The environments are much similar to what today's first person shooters (such as Doom, Call of Duty, Half-Life, etc.) look today. It's a major leap of earlier 6DoF games, including even Descent 3 and Forsaken.

However, there are issues.

One, the lack of maps with accessible outdoor environments as seen in Descent 3. Considering the fact Unreal engines can allow seamless indoor/outdoor transition, UE3 (and by extension, UE4) allows that theoretically. If realized, then we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. For inspiration, Descent 3 levels can be taken as reference.

Two, there are two multiplayer game modes: Free For All, and Team Deathmatch. Capture the Flag, Hostage Rescue (inspired by Counter-Strike), and Defend/Destroy The Reactor need to be added as new game modes. Capture The Flag involves capturing the other team's flag and returning home. Hostage Rescue involves rescuing hostages before other players/teams do, similar to Descent and its sequel. Also, Defend/Destroy The Reactor involves one team protects the reactor, while the other destroys it, both of which are similar to Descent 3's fifth level and the much of Descent 1/2 respectively,.

Three, the lack of switches that do not get destroyed upon being fired by weapons or collided, instead triggers an action, similar to Descent 3. Switches can be triggered anytime. Switches can be used to activate/deactivate certain items, such as doors, forcefields, turrets, and so on.

And fourth, the controls and the HUD are similar to the earlier incarnation of SolC and Descent in general. We want to make it radically different and indistinguishable than Descent.

DuderSeb
SolC Development Lead

Re: I've got something to say

Post by DuderSeb » 14 Jun 2016, 00:46

Thank you very much for your feedback, Bryan!
Remember that Proving Grounds is the multiplayer demo for SolC - meant to focus more on the style and fluidity of the gameplay we wish to pursue rather than being as feature-rich as you describe.
Concept Art | Modeling | Texturing
Sol Contingency Steam Group

Bryan See

Post by Bryan See » 15 Jun 2016, 11:50

You're welcome, I know that SolC: PG is a demo. However, I do have yet another feedback. For future releases, I would like for different ammunition-based projectile weapons aside from dispersion and gatling cannons, including mass driver/railgun/sniper and flamethrower (both of which are similar to Descent 3), with different fire modes, and a zoom function, which modern FPS games usually have.

metalgunner87
SolC Development Lead

Post by metalgunner87 » 15 Jun 2016, 20:14

Bryan See wrote:You're welcome, I know that SolC: PG is a demo. However, I do have yet another feedback. For future releases, I would like for different ammunition-based projectile weapons aside from dispersion and gatling cannons, including mass driver/railgun/sniper and flamethrower (both of which are similar to Descent 3), with different fire modes, and a zoom function, which modern FPS games usually have.

Bryan, already head of you buddy! ;) don't worry we got you! those are in the works!

Bryan See

Post by Bryan See » 16 Jun 2016, 14:52

OK. Fine with me. I noted it earlier. Thanks.