Frequently Asked Questions

Got a specific question or suggestion on the game? You ask, the developers answer.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

PP Mguire

Frequently Asked Questions

Postby PP Mguire » 17 Apr 2013, 18:24

Was just taking a shower and was wondering if anybody can comment on a few questions I have.

Which API will this project run off of? DX11/10/9?

Will this game have proper joystick support? (Throttle/hat controls recognized)

Will this project have any adjustable filtering options IE AA/AF?

Will there be any multiplayer?

Will there be any 5.1/7.1 audio like Descent 3 had with Dolby effects?

Will there be any absolute campaign tributes like D1 in the future? (Replay the whole original game in an upgraded engine)

Finally, will there be any possible legality issue that may interfere with the launch of this game? I'm sure we all know what the Mechwarrior name faced.
sigma

Re: Few questions if I may..

Postby sigma » 17 Apr 2013, 19:05

On mine, the similar problem was successfully resolved at Volition and FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project. Apparently it turns out that Sol Contingency already has a little that the general with Descent judging by number of changes too. Yes, they are a little similar. And modern cars of different brands are similar one to another.

And yes, I know that many people wouldn't like that game was attached to the Internet. I live in the large city, I have a high-speed allocated Internet and the gaming computer, and nevertheless at me there are a lot of occasions to be dissatisfied service Stim. I don't speak already about gamers at whom the situation with network connection is much worse than at others.
give to the person the purpose for the sake of which it is worth living, and he will survive in any situation
1DVD4D2UDK

Postby 1DVD4D2UDK » 17 Apr 2013, 22:37

PP Mguire wrote:Which API will this project run off of? DX11/10/9?

Finally, will there be any possible legality issue that may interfere with the launch of this game? I'm sure we all know what the Mechwarrior name faced.
For most of your questions the answer is yes, but for DX, it could be an issue - but only with older systems, which this game ISN'T being made for actually.
For users with Dev status: Simply catch up on your reading in the main posts of each thread 'In the Developer Forums' to get a basic idea of how much we've gotten done and you will see that most all your questions are addressed at length.
sigma wrote:Apparently it turns out that Sol Contingency already has a little that the general with Descent judging by number of changes too. Yes, they are a little similar. And modern cars of different brands are similar one to another.
We are trying to make this game as close to the original 'gameplay feel' as possible! So...
And yes, I know that many people wouldn't like that game was attached to the Internet. I live in the large city, I have a high-speed allocated Internet and the gaming computer, and nevertheless at me there are a lot of occasions to be dissatisfied service Stim. I don't speak already about gamers at whom the situation with network connection is much worse than at others.
A large portion of what we're making is going to be for the Single Player Campaigns, and MP is hopefully going to be an addition to that - as time allows for an episodic release schedule.
After closing your browser, it'll be with you - in back of your mind
waiting to inspire you, by what you've seen, heard, or read today
1DVD, 1DVD4D2UDK, 1DVD-DCLXVI, 1DeViLiShDuDe, @uToPLaY
http://descent-to-udk.deviantart.com http://1devilishdude.deviantart.com
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 18 Apr 2013, 09:58

We should create an FAQ section on the website.

>> Which API will this project run off of? DX11/10/9?

DX9 is the core, DX11 could be an option.

>> Will this game have proper joystick support? (Throttle/hat controls recognized)

Yes, the engime supports unlimited mapping of axes and buttons for sticks.

>> Will this project have any adjustable filtering options IE AA/AF?

Of course it will; everyone should be able to play it even on modest computers.

>> Will there be any multiplayer?

Yes.

>> Will there be any 5.1/7.1 audio like Descent 3 had with Dolby effects?

Since the engine supports multichannel surround audio, yes.

>> Will there be any absolute campaign tributes like D1 in the future? (Replay the whole original game in an upgraded engine)

I don't think we have the time to create more than the game we are working on now, but who knows, FANS might come up with such a thing? ;)

>> Finally, will there be any possible legality issue that may interfere with the launch of this game? I'm sure we all know what the Mechwarrior name faced.

The game is not called Descent. There have been talks to make it an official Descent game, but they have been going very slowly, so we'll see.
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
Halogene

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Postby Halogene » 18 Apr 2013, 10:27

Reading this, Linux support is probably out of discussion... right?
MadMax1998
Site Admin

Postby MadMax1998 » 18 Apr 2013, 10:35

Unfortunately yes, since Unreal Engine 3 only runs on Windows, Mac and consoles (and I think we are only entitled to a Windows release by the current license).
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website
Halogene

Postby Halogene » 18 Apr 2013, 11:04

meh, that's too bad. I was running out of reasons to keep the windows installation and was about to ditch it...

/me shrugs

well maybe UDK will be available for linux some day, too.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » 18 Apr 2013, 14:59

Epic has ported the engine to a number of platforms already - it seems quite possible. I'm not sure what it'd take to make them decide to do it.
Vertigo Fox
SolC Team

Postby Vertigo Fox » 18 Apr 2013, 15:26

MadMax1998 wrote:>> Will this project have any adjustable filtering options IE AA/AF?
Of course it will; everyone should be able to play it even on modest computers.

This sounds good. My graphics card can't even turn on antialiasing without dropping framerates down below 5 no matter what else is turned on or off. Makes me wonder why it even supports it in the first place...
Sol-C Pet Cat
---------------------------------------------------------------
Isthay ignatureshay oesn'tday eallyray aysay anythingyay.
sigma

Postby sigma » 18 Apr 2013, 16:00

1DVD4D2UDK wrote:
sigma wrote:Apparently it turns out that Sol Contingency already has a little that the general with Descent judging by number of changes too. Yes, they are a little similar. And modern cars of different brands are similar one to another.
We are trying to make this game as close to the original 'gameplay feel' as possible! So...

if the risk of presentation of claims from owners Descent is minimum, then of course the new game should be as similar to the gameplay of the game that we love so much. It is this feature pleasant to me.
give to the person the purpose for the sake of which it is worth living, and he will survive in any situation

Return to “Developer Q&A”