Weapons discussion.

Discuss the game, make suggestions, post constructive criticism. Open to anyone!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Urungus
Beta Tester

Weapons discussion.

Post by Urungus » 19 Apr 2013, 02:12

If I may, please list why you loved and/or hated certain weapons. From both a giving and receiving standpoint.
Please list which game series it was from as well.
We're going to need a bigger boat.

PP Mguire

Re: Weapons discussion.

Post by PP Mguire » 19 Apr 2013, 05:59

I liked the many laser upgrades and quad lasers from D1 and 2. I also love the Helix cannon from D2, but it's primary replacement in D3 the Napalm cannon was pretty cool too.

Absolute favorite missile in the series has to be the Black Shark from D3. Would love to see that in upgraded graphics.

Least favorite from all would probably have to be the Fusion cannon. Pretty awesome, but very impracticle.

Halogene

Post by Halogene » 19 Apr 2013, 09:49

Meh, I loved the fusion cannon, especially in D3's magnum... I'd really favor a comeback of the mercury missiles. D3's "football" would be a nice thing to have, too...

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 19 Apr 2013, 16:04

Mercury missiles were fun. Hard to be effective with, but very good when they are.

Few missiles in D3 were balanced at all though, which is why they were so dominant. Concs and homing missiles were fine, but most of the rest were instant-kill and tended to be kind of glitchy.

Worst primary weapon in the entire series would have to be the Mass Driver (railguns never did belong in a Descent game - the reason it's good is the travel-time weapons - and no, not much of a fan of Gauss either). Runner-up would be the Omega Cannon, both in D2 and D3 - it was buggy and often killed much faster than it was supposed to in both.

Fusion is an iconic weapon that probably should come back - maybe closer to the D1 incarnation than D2 though. I was never good with it, but the people that were made it pretty deadly in D1 - never really happened in D2. D3 came along and well... somehow it got much easier for ANYONE to use. Hence the charged-up triple fusion gimmick which made it basically another one of those secondary weapons.

Urungus
Beta Tester

Post by Urungus » 19 Apr 2013, 18:37

Personally I'd love to see the Gauss again. Hated the Black Shark.
I would like to see the napalm gun and missile replaced by a mortar style bomb with proximity detonation. I think that might be interesting.
Perhaps why the Mass Driver was so difficult was that the ships in comparison to some of the levels seemed small. The zoom function seemed to take too long and the obvious drawback was it left you vulnerable.
We're going to need a bigger boat.

PP Mguire

Post by PP Mguire » 19 Apr 2013, 21:40

Urungus wrote:Personally I'd love to see the Gauss again. Hated the Black Shark.
I would like to see the napalm gun and missile replaced by a mortar style bomb with proximity detonation. I think that might be interesting.
Perhaps why the Mass Driver was so difficult was that the ships in comparison to some of the levels seemed small. The zoom function seemed to take too long and the obvious drawback was it left you vulnerable.
That sounds awesome.

Duper

Post by Duper » 19 Apr 2013, 22:44

yeah, imo, the Mass Driver caused more trouble in Multi that it created fun. One of the reasons I quit playing.

I know there are a lot of folks that liked it, but it was really a twin to Quake's rail gun. If this is a D1 project (plus or minus of course) perhaps the MD should be set aside.
"The cat was Aready dead when I got there." - Curiosity

Ben K

Post by Ben K » 21 Apr 2013, 14:27

D3's weapon balance was pretty good in demo 1. Napalm cannon was a bit strong, but the range tempered that a bit. Aside from that it was just the Vauss and lasers, both of which had their place and were well balanced against each other, and for the secondaries I believe it was concussion, frag, homing and impact mortar. MD, microwave, fusion, napalm rockets and black sharks made a dog's breakfast of the final release, particularly after they added a fourth overpowered ship in an expansion as a way of making an extra buck.

D1's weapon balance was probably the best of the series, but proximity bombs needed some changes. Plasma and lasers also lacked enough differentiation - sacrilege though it might be, I'd even think about dropping the plasma for a napalm cannon, switching the proximity bomb to a separate countermeasure slot like in D3 and giving it a larger splash and trigger range, and in its place bringing back the impact mortar.

Sirius

Post by Sirius » 21 Apr 2013, 20:55

D3 Demo 1 was a three-weapon deal on both halves: lasers/super lasers, vauss, napalm for primaries; concs, frags, homing missiles for secondaries. Impact Mortar didn't come along until demo 2, but in its defense it was one of the less stupid weapons out there. Except there was a bug where if you directly hit someone with it, even at point-blank, it couldn't do any damage to other people - or at least the player firing it. I'm sure you can imagine how abusable that is. :)

And yes, demo 1 was awesome. In retrospect it's taught me less can be more; fewer weapons with more attention spent on balancing them can be better than a boatload of inconsistent weapons.

Halogene

Post by Halogene » 22 Apr 2013, 08:18

I loved (and still love) the mortar of D3. It's fabulous to block a way, to greet another player with that you expect to come around the next corner, and also to just throw it into the middle of a dogfight between other players. It also adds a great deal of excitement when you see it coming that you suddenly realize you need to get out of the place and fast. Only thing I'd like to see fixed is the similarity between a spawned mortar and a fired one. Happens to me quite some times that I think "oh yay, a mortar - pick it up quickly before someone else does it OH SH... *KABOOM*"