MS Sidewinder 3D Pro - no success setting up axis

For technical problems with the build. Not for bug reports!

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

STealTH
Beta Tester

Re: MS Sidewinder 3D Pro - no success setting up axis

Post by STealTH » 06 Nov 2015, 12:15

Problem:
In the kb/joystick profile, under the joystick axis settings, I can click any axis and the result is always the same.
Upon clicking to set up any of the axis, RightX will show up. It's like as if RightX is automatically being pressed all the time.
I have clicked it in yaw, and it yaws nonstop, I have clicked pitch and it pitches nonstop, I have clicked on roll and it rolls non stop.
When testing this in X360 the joystick works 100% right. The same goes with JoyToKey and also in my Windows joystick settings.
RightX keeps taking over and automatically pressing itself when there is no joystick plugged in, or keyboards plugged in.

Solution (not really):
The only way to stop the game from turning all the time is to have the roll, pitch, and yaw axis all empty in joystick settings.
That however, stops it from working completely. With x360 running I was able to get yaw, pitch, and roll going. But, the entire
time the ship is wanting to turn like as if a key is stuck. I have been able to fly with all X, Y, and Z controls but only if I
constantly had to counter steer whichever direction the ship is wanting to turn.

I had deleted every file indicated in the Readme file to make sure all settings are fresh. Also did this in the R2 version of the
game (showed in the menu screen to be sure). It's been about 6 hours of constant restarts trying in every combination I
could think of; I think for now I am stuck because I don't see how I can bang my head against this wall in a different way.

Also used every toggleoneway* when testing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 06 Nov 2015, 12:25

The TogggleOneWay commands were supposed to stop this issue from appearing. If one axis is always assigned to a binding even if you don't press anything, it means this axis is in fact giving input in its neutral state (like a half-depressed throttle where "half" is neutral on the physical device). But the ToggleOneWay commands don't solve the issue of not being able to properly bind your axes since the UI doesn't care whether you toggled one way on or not.

I will have to work with one of you joystick guys and push a few updated builds to you until we can get this solved properly. Who's volunteering?
Max
Sol Contingency Programming Lead
Sol Contingency Website

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 06 Nov 2015, 13:20

I happily offer my time for this, as long as I am not at work (Weekdays) or sleeping that is.

Kynes
Beta Tester

Post by Kynes » 06 Nov 2015, 14:01

See my post here. This worked for me for my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

http://forum.preparefordescent.com/view ... =20#p11977

STealTH
Beta Tester

Post by STealTH » 09 Nov 2015, 03:56

Step by step guide to using X360 wrapper for joystick controls: http://forum.preparefordescent.com/view ... f=31&t=659

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 19:08

I don't actually get all 5 of my axis (a gamepad only has 4)
Actually the XBox controller has six axes, four two-way and two one-way axes. Does the wrapper not support these?
Max
Sol Contingency Website

Yoshimitsu
Beta Tester

Post by Yoshimitsu » 09 Nov 2015, 19:43

Thanks for reminding me to test this Max (which I have just done now). The wrapper does have 4 2way axis (thumbsticks) and 2 1way axis (the triggers)

I just tried binding my twist axis to the triggers and it functions...kind of. The wrapper allows you to split a 2way joystick input in half so that each axis direction can be bound to a button (or in this case trigger). SolC recognizes my inputs properly but it has an issue:

If I bind my Right-Trigger (right twist) to roll in the SolC controls then I can use my right twist to roll right in an analog manner. This is exactly what I want. However, because the other half of the axis is bound to left trigger, I cant roll back. If I instead go into button configuration and set Left Trigger to Roll Left and Right Trigger to Roll Right then I can bank each direction just fine but the game recognizes the input as on/off so the rolling is full speed at all times rather than analog.

This would be fixed SolC had the option to bind each half of a movement direction to a different axis (just like keys or buttons can)
For instance; If in the axis configuration menu I had the ability to bind roll left and roll right independently, then I could set Left-Trigger to Roll-Left and Right-Trigger to Roll-Right and get analog rolling in both directions which is the goal. Alternatively, Allowing two axis to be bound to the same control might actually accomplish the same thing so If I could bind Left-Trigger and Right-Trigger both to Roll-Axis, I have a feeling that it might solve the issue equally well.

Just to note, I believe that this would also grant analog rolling to people using actual xbox360 controllers as well so that would be a plus :)

MadMax1998
Site Admin

Post by MadMax1998 » 09 Nov 2015, 20:14

Yes I've come to the same conclusion today when I thought through the axis problems we are facing.
Max
Sol Contingency Website