Framerate drop upon close range Dispersion Cannon hit

Report problems and bugs you have encountered while playing the beta.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

NUMBERZero
Beta Tester

Framerate drop upon close range Dispersion Cannon hit

Post by NUMBERZero » 06 Nov 2015, 21:51

When firing the Dispersion Cannon at a really close by wall, the framerate drops quite a ways for the second that the hit particles exist.

I mean, you have to have your nose into the wall to make that happen, but considering when one is twisting through the halls and is firing madly, they might fire too close to a wall and cause a framerate drop for themselves and lose their tempo.

EDIT: Also this gun reminds me of the Dispersion Cannon from Hellbender. This pleases me.

InVader
Beta Tester

Re: Framerate drop upon close range Dispersion Cannon hit

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 17:43

I can confirm this. Licking a wall and firing dispersion a couple of times nukes my framerate to about 15 even on Vertigo.

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 07 Nov 2015, 21:33

Well - the game engine has to play the shotgun muzzle flash, plus all the bits that fly out thru the cone, plus a bunch of impact effects for each pellet, plus calculate all the dynamic lights ... all within the same frame (0.02 sec) when you do that. We can either get rid of the effects, or you guys can go shoot other players instead of the walls. LOL Note - I do have a bit of code that reduces the chance of playing a hit effect down to ~40% per pellet already as an optimization. Want to make sure we're fixing bugs that are actually bugs though - this feels kinda special case scenario to me. Will look into it though. Do you get the same frame rate drop if you turn off Projectile Lights in the options menu?!? If you do, then its probably the particle effects.
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 08 Nov 2015, 08:22

I did turn it off. What baffles me is that this only happens at close range. At longer range the same amount of particle are created, yet it doesn't wreck the framerate.

Considering the dispersion is a close-range weapon...

1/2Hawk
SolC Development Lead

Post by 1/2Hawk » 08 Nov 2015, 22:28

Yeah, its not a matter of the number of things going on throughout the process - its a matter of them all happening *at the same time* when you shoot square into a surface. At long range, the calculations for creating the effects and the calculations for dealing with the impacts happen on separate ticks of the game. (The list of shit to figure out before drawing on the screen at time X is much shorter, so less framerate drop).
UDK & UE4 - Visual FX (Particle Systems, Custom Materials, Lighting), Modeling, Animation/Rigging, Mapping, Coding