Fixing Big MAC (suggestions)

Post your feedback on the feel and balancing of the game here.

Moderator: SolC Development Leads

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Fixing Big MAC (suggestions)

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 10:55

Currently MAC is a fairly high-skill (maybe a couple days to learn using for an experienced 6dof pilot), piece of op-ness. Perhaps because the lasers are pretty weak at the moment, but it is still too good in face to face close quarters combat, and not that special in long range.
The one hit kill on full charge seems like a gimmic. It is hard to achieve, except that it is likely used just like triple-fusions in d3, to shoot everywhere hoping for easy kills.
I'd prefer the damage to be capped, like in d3, to a reasonable amount. Charging for longer is still viable to get a proper aim at the target.
Next thing is to make the particle slightly bigger vs pilots, and not so much vs walls. See d3 fusions for example. This is to make targetting fleeing enemies behind doorways easier, and to cancel out some of the unregistered hits that I get :P
Making it shoot a little wider wouldn't affect close-quarters at all.
Then balance out the overpoweredness with damage and rate-of-fire tweaks.

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Re: Fixing Big MAC (suggestions)

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 11:06

Oh, maybe make the particle grow in size as it flys!
[EDIT] Or damage of course.
Last edited by Whiteshark on 07 Nov 2015, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 12:08

Most people who are good at the game always keep their shields overcharged by traversing through the map in a smart way and picking up the shields, so the cannon cannot 1 hit them.

I agree on Mag overcharge part. Cap the damage at 100 + hull HP, but make it possible to overcharge it, so you can get a better aim.

I'd also suggest making it hitscan, so it can be a goo long range weapon, but that might very well make it OP in this game because of the slow and linearly moving ships. The players do have turn rate limitation though, so it shouldn't be that easy. It's something to experiment with.

Dusty267
Beta Tester

Post by Dusty267 » 07 Nov 2015, 15:17

Whiteshark wrote:Oh, maybe make the particle grow in size as it flys!
[EDIT] Or damage of course.
I like the idea of increased power in range. Maybe an logarithm to include charging time, but since it is not an insta-travel speed weapon like the MD was, you should reward people for sniping long distance, since you have to lead still. Maybe cap the damage lower at full charge like normal, but as it travels it gains a little extra.

InVader
Beta Tester

Post by InVader » 07 Nov 2015, 15:33

One thing the Mac does need is more feedback on how much charged it is. I would be nice to see the energy continuously drain as you charge up the Mac. Right now it just pops a portion of the energy when you fire it.

SgtThorne
Beta Tester

Post by SgtThorne » 07 Nov 2015, 21:06

If you want to make the Mac damage increase with distance (an interesting idea), I think it would be best for the beam to gradient in color as it goes out, and/or maybe increase in opacity; sort of like the flame of a torch. The beam is always blue in close-combat, but once it goes a ways it fades to orange--where the real damage is done. Also tweak the impact sound depending on how far away you are when it hits.

I'd like to add that IMO this weapon looks too much like the lasers. Either make it a firing mode for standard lasers, or differentiate it more as a separate weapon.
Running: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.20GHz Haswell - 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SSC 4GB - NVIDIA Drivers v10.18.13.5850
Asus Z87-PRO Motherboard - Onboard High Definition Audio

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 21:26

I think the shot overall looks pretty boring atm. Imagine the particle gaining heat and start flaming while flying, so it will become this sort of a fireball. It would be easy to make it a little bigger hitzone against ships, while not looking stupid going through walls.
You could even add some lighting-effect so that it looks more like a thunder that transforms into a fiery arrow!

Now I know people want the weapon to be high skill, and I don't think a small size extra for long ranges decreases the skill requirement, only it makes hitting less random!
For short ranges the weapon really needs some sort of a nerf. If lasers are buffed I can reconsider this.

Ion
Beta Tester

Post by Ion » 07 Nov 2015, 21:32

Absolutely no hitscan. Also, I have had no problems preventing someone from getting a bead on me with this gun. Only with my back turned have I ever been struck with a fully charged blast.

Being able to train on your target while it's charging is a skill, and being able to hit someone with a fully charged MAC should have it's own rewards. Aside from how ammo is handled, it's fine just the way it is. Base shot should take up 2 or 4 energy, building up slowly to 20 for a fully charged shot. That much energy toward lasers is plenty enough to take someone out. It also does need a charge indicator.
aka bossrobotdad, currently "Punished Blart" in-game

Whiteshark
Beta Tester

Post by Whiteshark » 07 Nov 2015, 21:35

Currently secondaries are what deals the most damage, other than gatling and big mac. Big mac deals far more damage in fights than lasers, and basically completely replace them if it wasn't for the skill requirements. Eventually most people would replace lasers with them.

Ion
Beta Tester

Post by Ion » 07 Nov 2015, 21:44

Yes in terms of damage per volley, but they have neither the DPS nor the efficiency of the lasers. This is a standard and balanced trade-off when it comes to designing different weapon systems for multiplayer games.
aka bossrobotdad, currently "Punished Blart" in-game